Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Wiring colours on original 1997 MGF radio/cassette 11 years 7 months ago #72454

I have pulled out my original radio cassette and am replacing it with a more modern unit. Naturally, the colour codes on the new one are not the same as the original. Can anyone explain what each of the wires are on the original, as per my photo? It should be quite easy to then join to the new connector, which is bare wired.
I
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Wiring colours on original 1997 MGF radio/cassette 11 years 7 months ago #72455

Not me sorry. That scares me. :) We've one or two electrician type people who might know. They should be on at some point today. Thanks for posting a pic of your troubles. It helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FlyFifer

Re: Wiring colours on original 1997 MGF radio/cassette 11 years 7 months ago #72460

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
What I did was get a special loom adapter from eBay just search for the head unit brand + mg then eBay should do the rest I paid 4.00 GBP and this just clips into the new head unit then splits into the two plugs one grey one orange its the easy way if you're not a brave electrical spaghetti person

Re: Wiring colours on original 1997 MGF radio/cassette 11 years 7 months ago #72467

What I did was get a special loom adapter from eBay just search for the head unit brand + mg then eBay should do the rest I paid 4.00 GBP and this just clips into the new head unit then splits into the two plugs one grey one orange its the easy way if you're not a brave electrical spaghetti person

That's what I would do...

However MGR colour codes are

Light Green/White = Ignition switched live
Purple = permanent live
Black = earth.
Red/Black (if there) = dashboard illumination
Grey/Pink = Rear right speaker +
Grey/Black = Rear right speaker -
Orange/Pink = Front right speaker +
Orange/Black = Front right speaker -
Yellow/Pink = Front left speaker +
Yellow/Black = Front left speaker -
Blue/Pink = Rear left speaker +
Blue/Black = Rear left speaker -

BTW if that is the connector to the existing radio/cassette, then follow the wires back, you may find 2 connectors that look like this

They may be the ones that fit your new radio if you remove the bare wired connectors (they are called ISO connectors and have been standard fit to most cars and radios (including all MGFs) since 1995).
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell, FlyFifer

Last edit: Post by cjmillsnun.

Re: Wiring colours on original 1997 MGF radio/cassette 11 years 7 months ago #72513

..............BTW if that is the connector to the existing radio/cassette, then follow the wires back, you may find 2 connectors that look like this............
.............They may be the ones that fit your new radio if you remove the bare wired connectors (they are called ISO connectors and have been standard fit to most cars and radios (including all MGFs) since 1995).

That's what I was going to say...............

Even if you don't have the brown and grey plugs there will be a change in wiring colours through some sort of connector, crimp or soldered joint.

You may also find the function of the wire actually stamped on each wire.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: Wiring colours on original 1997 MGF radio/cassette 11 years 7 months ago #72856

Thank you for the advice on this. I will certainly look for a suitable connector, but in the meantime I have managed to work out a solution ( the impatience of youth!)
It occurred to me that the Eurovox 8790 radio would have been fitted to other Rover Group vehicles, and I found a wiring protocol on a Land Rover website. I was then able to splice the wires on my existing loom to match the bare wires on my new radio. I connected it up and it works a treat! I hope this helps others who want to change the original radio. Note that the grey and orange wires were not required on my 1997 VVC.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell, jac114

Last edit: Post by FlyFifer.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT