Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Gear-linkage SUCCESS!!! 11 years 7 months ago #71980

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Some of you may remember a post made around a month ago suggesting a way to improve gear-change feel.

For those who don't, it involves PTFE tape and superglue. Sounds Blue Peter I know but results are testimony. I didn't think it would last, but a month's heavy driving around congested Coventry and still good!

PTFE tape, I have found out, is reknowned for it's durability, so the ball/socket wear point is sorted. The superglue drizzled down the white, plastic slider plate is also still absolutely solid!

What I feel the issue is my friends, are the three nuts that need to be tightened, then slightly backed off, which the whole mech pivots on. They come loose! Simple, replace with nyloc nuts and adjust to preferred use. They don't come undone and are ideal for job.

In short, the PTFE around ball/socket, superglue in bush, nyloc nut replacement and 3-4inches off gear-stick has got me a CRACKING feeling gear change....FOR PENCE!

I am now toying with idea of assembling a simple cage, to sit neatly around mech and below gear gator, with 4 upholstery springs hooked to stick giving it a sprig-loaded feel.

We shall see and no rush as really happy with things as they are for now. The gear change feels tight, yet free enough to move easily and with all the play eliminated.

Winner!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Gear-linkage SUCCESS!!! 11 years 7 months ago #71981

Is there a how to for this?
2003 MGTF Monogram Edition. Celestial Blue, Black Leather.No. 19 of 99 Built 11 Spoke Alloys. AP brakes.

Re: Gear-linkage SUCCESS!!! 11 years 7 months ago #71984

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
For previous post referred to click here

For the T-Bar How To on curing a sloppy gear change click here

Thanks for the update matty

Re: Gear-linkage SUCCESS!!! 11 years 7 months ago #71985

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thought it was time to post a 'I DO KNOW WHAT i'M DOING WHEN NOT DICKING ABOUT' thread lol.

Goes to show experimenting can pay off. The Nyloc nut thing is icing on cake as when they pinched, then backed off a tad, they just stay hence perfectly adjusted to eliminate play.

That's the biggest culprit, as you know Paul.

Re: Gear-linkage SUCCESS!!! 11 years 7 months ago #72006

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I do hope people have a go at doing this mod as it MASSIVE improvement, only involves PTFE, superglue, 3 nyloc nuts and a hacksaw. Takes around an hour or so and results are spectacular and clearly permanent!

:drive:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT