• Page:

Topic

Daft question of the week. 14 years 4 months ago #6804

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Has anyone heard of fitting a second calliper to each disk?

I had a sudden thought (it hurt) that instead of spending £1500+ on six pot brakes, why could you not fit another set of AP callipers (around £200).

OK it would mean that you would have to build brackets etc and maybe mount it at the 2 o'clock position (nearside wheel), but it wouldn't foul the wheel and would in effect give you 8 pot braking.

I know the displacement would be more for the fluid quantity etc, but I have to ask, why not?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Daft question of the week. 14 years 4 months ago #6810

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Has anyone heard of fitting a second calliper to each disk?

I had a sudden thought (it hurt) that instead of spending £1500+ on six pot brakes, why could you not fit another set of AP callipers (around £200).

OK it would mean that you would have to build brackets etc and maybe mount it at the 2 o'clock position (nearside wheel), but it wouldn't foul the wheel and would in effect give you 8 pot braking.

I know the displacement would be more for the fluid quantity etc, but I have to ask, why not?

:CJJ: Interesting....

Daft question of the week. 14 years 4 months ago #6812

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X
I have a silly question too, has Ms Harlow changed her name by deed poll to Kara? :whistle:

Daft question of the week. 14 years 4 months ago #6813

• Visitor
  • Visitor

I have a silly question too, has Ms Harlow changed her name by deed poll to Kara? :whistle:

:CJJ: Intrigueing...

Daft question of the week. 14 years 4 months ago #6818

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I noticed that too. Anyway, stop hijacking my thread.

I think the main problem with the calliper theory is that it might foul something steering or suspension wise. But I think it is worth investigating.

What a talking point that would be. Oy, why have you got 2 AP callipers on each wheel?

Daft question of the week. 14 years 4 months ago #6820

• Visitor
  • Visitor

I noticed that too. Anyway, stop hijacking my thread.

I think the main problem with the calliper theory is that it might foul something steering or suspension wise. But I think it is worth investigating.

What a talking point that would be. Oy, why have you got 2 AP callipers on each wheel?

Isn't one AP enough though, do you not risk warping the disk or...I dunno...going through the windshield if you brake to hard :)

Daft question of the week. 14 years 4 months ago #6822

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Isn't one AP enough though, do you not risk warping the disk or...I dunno...going through the windshield if you brake to hard :)

I would prefer the degree of braking to be defined by my foot, not by the limits of the current brakes. :)

Daft question of the week. 14 years 4 months ago #6828

• Visitor
  • Visitor

I would prefer the degree of braking to be defined by my foot, not by the limits of the current brakes. :)

Thats fair enough :)

But surely with an 8 pot system, your foot would have to be somewhere underneath your lovely bonnet vent before the limit was hit :lol:

Daft question of the week. 14 years 4 months ago #6842

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Thats fair enough :)

But surely with an 8 pot system, your foot would have to be somewhere underneath your lovely bonnet vent before the limit was hit :lol:

Maybe the opposite. An inch of movement may put you on the bonnet. :)

Daft question of the week. 14 years 4 months ago #6845

with 2 sets of calipers would it not create more heat with the improved braking and with more of the disc 'covered' with calipers less area for the disc to cool?

must admit it would look the dogs B's but i reckon if it was do-able it would already have been done :)

edit: i've found a car that comes with 2 sets of 4 pot calipers on the front as standard............................. a Maybach!!!!!!!
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/maybach3.htm

Daft question of the week. 14 years 4 months ago #6850

Interesting idea CJJ - don't see why it would not work. I guess its not been done as the original design for a car would have suitably sized calipers from the outset.
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Daft question of the week. 14 years 4 months ago #6852

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

edit: i've found a car that comes with 2 sets of 4 pot calipers on the front as standard............................. a Maybach!!!!!!!
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/maybach3.htm

OMG. They've stolen my idea. :shake:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT