Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

OH NO ! NOT ANOTHER HEAD GASKET FAILURE !! 11 years 9 months ago #60950

No not mine I hasten to add.
I had just pulled into the parking area on an A road when another silver MGF identical to mine pulled in behind.
I came out to have a look when I saw the steam emmiting from the rear and a pool of coolant slowly expanding on the tarmac.
The guy told me he knew something was wrong but kept driving till he came to a service station where he filled up with water then continued on his way .He did not have a low warning light. Now he had stopped again and was going to replenish again from a large plastic bottle and hoped to reach home some 15 miles away!!
I told him that if the head gasket had not already gone it certainly would be by the time he reached home. He said it was his wife's car. I advised him to get the AA to tow him home which he did.
But how did the coolant loss occur in the first place. I would say lack of maintenance. You don't wait for your coolant hoses to blow you inspect them and replace if perished. They should be renewed in any case at 100,000 miles or ten years which ever comes first. The coolant pipes which run fore and aft should also be inspected and replaced if corroded. They can be replaced with stainless steel.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: OH NO ! NOT ANOTHER HEAD GASKET FAILURE !! 11 years 9 months ago #60953

I don't suppose that you pointed him in this direction? Whoops a daisy. ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT