• Page:

Topic

Fuel Consumption 11 years 10 months ago #57521

• Whiz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Whiz
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Morning,
I just wanted to pose the question really and see if others make note of similar milestones...
For the first time on Monday I refilled to the brim - 42 litres i think, about £56...

From full to half, I have only covered 165-170 miles and I guess I was expecting more. Most of my driving is motorway / dual carriageway (A27 / A23 / M23) and tbh I do mainly drive at 60, with maybe one little blip each way but generally not excessive.

If that continues for the rest of the tank, Im actually getting around 1.5 miles a litre (dont know gallons :slapme: ) less than my 2t volvo s40 that I used to drive generally faster and pushed the engine harder to get results... That was a 1.8i GDI (the Mitsubishi engine they put in for a year or two).

I was carrying a little extra weight Monday and Tuesday (tools, trolley jack, wheely lay down thing, stands etc) and obviously as fuel lessens and car gets lighter one would experience better economy...

Therefore my question is, what mileage do most on here get out of their 50l petrol tank? Am I using excessive amounts for general daily commute? Should I just not worry and just enjoy driving car?

I wasnt sure if the slightly more conservative speed has a negative impact if the engine likes to work slightly harder...?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Fuel Consumption 11 years 10 months ago #57523

Click my sig pic, register and keep a log just to know for sure.. tis free. :)

Fuel Consumption 11 years 10 months ago #57524

Gauges are little more than a rough indication. I always find that the first half goes quickly and the second a lot slower, the only way to know for sure is to calculate it when you next fill up.

I can't see LP's sig on the mobile but I assume he is referring to www.fuelly.com, I use it to keep track. Tell it mileage, date and how much you filled up and it does the rest. Even draws pretty graphs.

Last edit: Post by djp66.

Re: Fuel Consumption 11 years 10 months ago #57526

I can't see LP's sig on the mobile but I assume he is referring to www.fuelly.com, I use it to keep track. Tell it mileage, date and how much you filled up and it does the rest. Even draws pretty graphs.

That's the one. :) It even keeps a log of how much you've spent. :sick:

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Fuel Consumption 11 years 10 months ago #57527

That's the one. :) It even keeps a log of how you've spent. :sick:

not sure I want to know how much Ive spent :nonod: ;)

Re: Fuel Consumption 11 years 10 months ago #57528

whiz,

I wold not put too much Faith in the gauge, by definition it is a gauge of what is in th etank, not an absolute amount. The F and TF tanks are not shaped like a regular rectangle either, as I understand, so you may not get a linear movement per mile register on the gauge.

I use my TF for everyday driving, I regularly have trips from Silverstone to Bishops Waltham nr Sothampton or up to Durham or to Gatwick airport etc, good round trips of between 200 and 450miles.

So from time to time I check what consumption I am geting - I dont care really as I have quite a heavy foot and drive the TF like it was designed to be driven.

So fill up to the brim.
Drive for 100-200 miles
Fill up to the brim and note how many Litres you used. 1 Gallon =4.54L
Now you can calculate what you are really using.

For the Past 9 months, I have been getting a reproducible 36 mpg with a mix of Fast Motorway, A roads. which I am very please about considering how I drive it.

Double check you Tyre pressures.
Tyre Conditions
Do you smell hot Brakes indicating a sticky pad or handbrake which wold increase consumption
are you measuring with roof up or Roof down?

I would expect you to get 33mpg minimum- 38/40mpg if you drive very very sensibly
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Turned to the Darkside, K&N Apollo and extra bling fitted.52mm TB

Re: Fuel Consumption 11 years 10 months ago #57530

• Whiz
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
yesh I forgot i had registered on that lol even added one entry haha
Ill have to keep up to date now... I think i didnt do the second one because I ended up driving longer and didnt know how I was going to work out the extra I used so didnt skew the figures...

Re: Fuel Consumption 11 years 10 months ago #57531

I make that 32 MPG, but for 1/2 a tank and 1 fillup its so innacurate that its meaningless. I'm not really into mileage results but once in a while I check my cars out. You fill the car up and zero the trip, run it until it needs a refill fill it again anf note the litres and miles. Divide the litres by 4.5 to get gallons if you want MPG. leave the trip and continue on to your next refill. Now fill the car again and add all the fuel together turn it into gallons and divide into your total mileage. Do this 4 or 5 times and you will see the results starting to average out as brimming errors start to cancel out. Doing it this way you just fill till the pump cuts out. No need to trickle fill.
One reason I got the 1.6 is its capable of great economy while going quite well enough. 44 MPG overall on the trip to Scotlanfd last year. The other1.6 in WAMGOC got 42 MPG when it went on the treasure hunt in Dorset last month. That car is bone stock mechanically. I know the 1.8s are easily capable of the high 30s.
There are ways to minimise fuel used, an instantaneous read out can be really scary. I inherited a BMW735iSE auto as a company car once. I glanced at MPG once as I was squeezing the throttle at 30 mph to prevent a gap opening in front of me that would invite dangerous attemps to pullout from side roads. 7 MPG! :omg:
Re working the engine harder, thats the difference between specific and absolute fuel consumption. Speciific is something like tonne mile hours per gallon and is best at peak torque where pumping losses are still low and effecive compression ratio is highest.. Thats an HGV number. Best MPG will be at the lowest speef the car can comfortably carry in 5th gear, but its a sports car!

Re: Fuel Consumption 11 years 10 months ago #57532

• Whiz
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Im glad I asked :) CHeers guys!

Oh, and not to hijack my own thread but Stan, what happened with the F? I know Adam spoke to the guy Tuesday night but...?

Re: Fuel Consumption 11 years 10 months ago #57535

For the Past 9 months, I have been getting a reproducible 36 mpg with a mix of Fast Motorway, A roads. which I am very please about considering how I drive it.

I would expect you to get 33mpg minimum- 38/40mpg if you drive very very sensibly

Would echo that result, wherein driving with 40mpg is not much fun B)
I've just changed my signature and added the code of our german based tool.
The result you see is from 160 fillings. A bit high currently in comparison with other german user cause I had troubles with the ignition that caused high consumption in last year.
Dieter K.
MGF Rep. MGCC DE
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Re: Fuel Consumption 11 years 10 months ago #57542

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
I get 300 mile to a full tank

Re: Fuel Consumption 11 years 10 months ago #57554

Fuel consumption - Official figures - Fuel Consumption - MPG Chart.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT