Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: How to change an MGTF sidelight bulb. 11 years 8 months ago #58240

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Do you want me to add it on here? Doesn't add much to yours, but shows that some of the ebay ones don't fit too well.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: How to change an MGTF sidelight bulb. 11 years 8 months ago #58241

If it helps a member in not making that mistake in the future then 'yes please'. :)

Re: How to change an MGTF sidelight bulb. 11 years 8 months ago #58242

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Hmmm. It looks like I didn't do a how to, just a post.

This is the mod I had to do. I had to cut part of the holder away for them to fit as the lamp was slightly longer and there wasn't enough clearance to get it in.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the 4 small self tapping screws corrode and the tops shear off when trying to remove the small cover. You can buy a pack of stainles steel screws that are nearly identical from the niknaks stand in Halfords. Well worth changing them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping

Re: How to change an MGTF sidelight bulb. 11 years 8 months ago #58244

Yep, did notice the rusty screws, I have already replaced the bolts and washers with s/s, so a visit to Halfords looks on the cards.

The other lot came from a proper nuts and bolts supplier, but you have to have a minimum order.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: How to change an MGTF sidelight bulb. 11 years 8 months ago #58861

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Had mine fitted on Friday, what a difference :yesnod:

Great thread Thank You :broon:

How to change an MGTF sidelight bulb. 11 years 3 months ago #93822

I've just replaced the old side light bulbs on my MG F with LED 4 cluster bulbs bought from Argo City

2x 501 CAPLESS 12V INTERIOR /SIDE LIGHT LED BULB white.

NB that's £2.91 for 2 bulbs with free Royal Mail 1st class delivery - I've ended-up with 4 bulbs as I ordered 2 packs :sick:

Replacement is a job requiring no tools! It's best to change the driver's side first as there is a bit more room (not so much though if you have ABS fitted).

The pictures are from the passenger's side.

You have a choice of 2 covers - you want the inboard cover that is for both the main beam & sidelight

The cover can feel a bit stuck to the light unit - try pulling the bottom first to break the seal

As well as a much more visible white light, the bulb is also much cooler reducing the well known degradation of the MG F reflectors.

This could be the cheapest and easiest MOD going!

Richard

Sidelight Bulb Changing Guide number 1 by Sanchez. - MGF Sidelight change and upgrade guide 1 - LED x 7.
Sidelight Bulb Changing Guide number 2 by 'Blow in' Richard. - MGF Sidelight change and upgrade guide 2 - LED x 4.
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Link updates :)

How to change an MGTF sidelight bulb. 11 years 3 months ago #93824

Nice one Richard!
One little general note of caution, some of the 'christmas tree' type of led 501s won't fit through the hole in the lamp reflector!:nonod:
Like these
Bright Interior LED Van Load Bay Light Kit 12v - Commercial Vehicle Lighting
Buy It Now
ebay item 320996102639

I know from experience.:sad:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

How to change an MGTF sidelight bulb. 11 years 3 months ago #93825

• Visitor
  • Visitor
i am very impressed so much im going to do my own car,the daft thing is i spend so much time rebuilding these cars to standard spec i never see the other goodies,on the mg runs next year i want to start looking a bit more at what people have done,i only see the under side of cars.so hopefully people wont mind.

How to change an MGTF sidelight bulb. 11 years 3 months ago #93834

That's a superb pictorial guide there Richard. Nicely done. :broon:

Sidelight Bulb Changing Guide number 1 by Sanchez. - MGF Sidelight change and upgrade guide 1 - LED x 7.
Sidelight Bulb Changing Guide number 2 by 'Blow in' Richard. - MGF Sidelight change and upgrade guide 2 - LED x 4.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Link updates :)

How to change an MGTF sidelight bulb. 10 years 10 months ago #116792

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.047 seconds