Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Two problems - central locking and hunting on tick 11 years 10 months ago #54062

Got 2 problems that have started over last couple of weeks

A couple of weeks ago it started hunting on tickover (intermittantly - and cleared by a stab on the throttle).

On Saturday I took the IACV off and cleaned it up with carburettor cleaner - loads of dirt came out. Then put it back together and it seemed OK. Checked around the throttle body, plenum and manifold and it looks secure. The gaskets were replaced when I did the head gasket in january so I don't think they are a problem.

Drove it out Saturday night without a problem.

Didn't use car Sunday, but suddenly in the evening the alarm went off twice in 10 mins - no evidence of reason why - we live in quiet dead end street in a good neighbourhood. So locked it with the key and left it on the drive.

My wife used the car today for 1st time since and had trouble....

At tickover it started hunting again (sitting at 2000 revs on tickover) but also had problems with central locking.

Locking the car with the fob it keeps locking/unlocking/locking etc..not stopping.

Locked it with the key and it's difficult to get the key upright and get the key out without the car unlocking. We have managed to lock it but am worried about what's going on.

Also had problems with the forum - works laptop keeps freezing on the forum "waiting for website to respond", similar situation with my own laptop needing to recover the website - so wondering what's going on ... damned computers !!

Any ideas guys????? :help:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Two problems - central locking and hunting on tick 11 years 10 months ago #54063

With the idle hunting try resetting the throttle position sensor by getting car to normal operating temperature, turn off and then key to position 2 with all the lights and fully depress throttle 5 times in 30 seconds. Leave for about 15 and turn off. Then start engine again and all should be lovely ...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: A picture paints a thousand words. Especially when it's a video :)

Re: Two problems - central locking and hunting on tick 11 years 10 months ago #54065

Must admit I forgot to do that on Saturday - had tried resetting in the week or so before. Without being reset the car was OK on Saturday night so I was surprised when it played up today.

Will reset it tomorrow night and see how it goes.

cheers

Re: Two problems - central locking and hunting on tick 11 years 10 months ago #54066

Hi Phil, try changing your fob battery and resyncing it to the car first. It could be as simple as that.

If there's no luck then we'll investigate the problem further. Have a read of this as well - Clickity-clickity.

And.. try a different browser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mogatrons

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Two problems - central locking and hunting on tick 11 years 10 months ago #54067

I reckon Leigh's on the money with the fob. ;) .... either that or your main battery is on it's last legs,
You can check across the terminals with a multimeter. It should read 12.5V or more when off and around 14V with the engine running.

Dying batteries that don't fully hold their charge can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins, like spurious alarms and erratic idles ....

Last edit: Post by mogatrons.

Re: Two problems - central locking and hunting on tick 11 years 10 months ago #54087

Hi guys

Fob was new last year - only problem with that theory is that the clickty click happens with just the key as well.

Will read that thread referred to - cheers

Main battery was new in February (as is alternator) - result of not connecting both wires to starter when putting that back on (!). I did remove the earth cable on Saturday when I cleaned the IACV, so will check that its on properly (but was good enough to run the car - but you never know).

Web Browser - work dictates it must be Microsoft on their laptop (actually I copied my post from .org and the comment was about that site) - so sorry on that one - should have deleted that comment before posting here.

Oh and Mrs Smith lost the spare fob during the events of yesterday - I should have put it on a decent key ring apparently! Fell off the ring into her lap while starting the car and she forgot about it when she got out ..... and she only used the spare because I had hidden the main set on the window sill by the front door!

thanks guys..

Re: Two problems - central locking and hunting on tick 11 years 10 months ago #54139

A bit off topic but ;

...... I had hidden the main set on the window sill by the front door!..

.... you KNOW that this is a really, really bad habit Phil.?!? :spank:

Car thieves up and down the country rely on people like you for their living..... :pinch:

Re: Two problems - central locking and hunting on tick 11 years 10 months ago #54147

small window, opaque glass, with sill above outside eye level - but I take your point, that's why the Beemers keys are in a cupboard off the kitchen. Normally all car keys there too, just left them there after the alarm had been going off. Were back in cupboard last night with keys to the other cars.

Just realised why she didn't see them - too short ! They were above her eye level..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT