Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: Head changed, now wont start..... 12 years 10 months ago #26006

i would first check the camshafts are on the correct keyways the dowel pin on the end of the inlet cam needs to be next to where it says inlet on the cam wheel and same on exhaust side dowel next to exhaust , or the head may just be no good and there is not enough compression alot of ebay heads are useless old heads that have had rings in them etc and have gone soft , and people have just skimmed them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Head changed, now wont start..... 12 years 10 months ago #26008

Update:

we have a spark, we have fuel going into the cylinders, we have $hit compression!

using number 1 as the timing belt end (as it was where i was stood) we have the following:

1) 8 bar
2) 7 bar
3) 7.5 bar
4) 7.5 bar

so it would appear i have messed the timing up........ now i have the crankshaft marks spot on, and i have the dots lined up together on the camshaft pulley....... the only possibility is that i have the (either one of them or both of them) camshaft pulleys on 180 deg out..... does anyone know where the key should be on the camshaft before you put the pulleys on when the engine is at 90 deg btdc?

Thanks again, this is the first time i have fitted a new head to a car, normally i just replace the gaskets and its an easy job :(

Re: Head changed, now wont start..... 12 years 10 months ago #26009

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Def too low, even, but low.

Re: Head changed, now wont start..... 12 years 10 months ago #26010

i would first check the camshafts are on the correct keyways the dowel pin on the end of the inlet cam needs to be next to where it says inlet on the cam wheel and same on exhaust side dowel next to exhaust , or the head may just be no good and there is not enough compression alot of ebay heads are useless old heads that have had rings in them etc and have gone soft , and people have just skimmed them.

sorry i didn't see this post, i will whip them off again tomorrow and check, thank you

Re: Head changed, now wont start..... 12 years 10 months ago #26011

David
:shrug:

Re: Head changed, now wont start..... 12 years 10 months ago #26012

:welcome2: Nice first post. :thumbsup:
David

Re: Head changed, now wont start..... 12 years 10 months ago #26014

A Big welcome to the T Bar and a great first post, thank you for your input.
The compression values are very poor and i too think the head could be suspect. :rant:

Re: Head changed, now wont start..... 12 years 10 months ago #26015

Update:

we have a spark, we have fuel going into the cylinders, we have $hit compression!

using number 1 as the timing belt end (as it was where i was stood) we have the following:

1) 8 bar
2) 7 bar
3) 7.5 bar
4) 7.5 bar

so it would appear i have messed the timing up........ now i have the crankshaft marks spot on, and i have the dots lined up together on the camshaft pulley....... the only possibility is that i have the (either one of them or both of them) camshaft pulleys on 180 deg out..... does anyone know where the key should be on the camshaft before you put the pulleys on when the engine is at 90 deg btdc?

Thanks again, this is the first time i have fitted a new head to a car, normally i just replace the gaskets and its an easy job :(

Can i ask a silly question? why did you decide to replace the complete cylinder head in the first place, was it so bad that it was beyond saving??? do you still have the old head as i think it may be worth putting this back on bcause i think you have got a problem with the Ebay jobbie with very low compression values. did you turn the engine over with the head off? and did you rock the head from side to side without lifting straight up when you took it off? Did you measure the projection of the liners above the block face and were they even? :omg: :rant:

Re: Head changed, now wont start..... 12 years 10 months ago #26016

Thank you for the pictures I don't have those markings on my pulleys, I recon this will be sorted tomorrow. I spent ages looking for a picture like that on Sunday but found nothing, this site is really helpful, thanks all

Just to add: the head was from an actual company not eBay ( I have just been informed) it came fully rebuilt and pressure tested with a garauntee. The decision was made to change it for speed as dad didn't want mum to be without a car for too long incase the old one needed skimming, price for the recon head was £300, I'll let you know if it was worth it tomorrow lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, bryan young

Last edit: Post by andyjc86. Reason: To answer another post

Re: Head changed, now wont start..... 12 years 10 months ago #26055

She runs!!!

Thank you so much for the camshaft advice, didn't run her for to long as I don't have everything connected yet and don't want to annoy the neighbours!

Thanks again,

Andy

Re: Head changed, now wont start..... 12 years 10 months ago #26056

She runs!!!

Thank you so much for the camshaft advice, didn't run her for to long as I don't have everything connected yet and don't want to annoy the neighbours!

Thanks again,

Andy

:thumbsup: ..And the problem was?:shrug:
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Head changed, now wont start..... 12 years 10 months ago #26057

• Visitor
  • Visitor
great news