Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

I have my engine!!!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #19124

this should amuse you all...

I have my engine! what a carry on though! this is what we accomplished in 6 hours in the rain last night!

got to martins house (who i bought my ZR off and the engine) and un packed the engine crane... we then realized we had to build it

"some assembly required" my arse!

and this wasnt a promising start!

and then it bucketed down! just after unloading my tools, the crane and unpacking it all from cardboard packaging....... so as my brother and martin cowered in martins shed i plugged on until i was so soaked i was considering changing my overalls for swimming trunks

martin then mentioned he had a large pice of tarpauling we could put up and we - that is i could stay dry while building the crane and lifting the engine

i swore at him

so up went the tarp

helpful... so now they could stay dry and i could slowly dry out!

martin felt guilty for staying dry and not helping and offered to sit down and read the manual while i used my frozen fingers to mess on with sopping wet tools and sware allot

for some reason we wernt getting very far very fast

anyway i took over and we started getting somewhere

inspite of growing darkness i decided to pose for my entry for 2011s calender as Mr November

fearing i looked less like a manly workman/modal and more like a raving homosexual in a damp boiler suit i decided to do some proper work

posing for this picture made me feel much more manly as i decided we didnt need the crane after all and i'd just lift the engine

sadly im quite weak so we had to go back to building the crane, my brothers contribution up to this point included taking pictures using the flash to give us all epileptic fits and declaring himself shop forman and above petty tasks like making me and martin a cuppa

the work force was not amused

fortunately martin found a large hydraulic extending ram... for some reason he found this amusing

and once i torqued up his nuts for him he was back to high spirits

fearing i hadn't been manly enough to make up for my earlier homosexualism i swore at some things and looked like i was being strong

then my imiture side got the better of me and i decided to drive round making motorbike noises

then i stopped been a prat and the work force had a conflab and decided the self declared shop forman needed to be punished for giving us both seizures/brain damage and not putting the kettle on

muwahahah and lift

my brother found this annoying and was very cross so to stay out of his way we buggered off for a cuppa and left him 'hanging' so to speak

we then came back and after we stopped laughing decided to try moving my engine

unfortunately we had a small problem

oops

as my little brother is the biggest and strongest of us i tempted him out of his moody by offering him a bag of chips and some chiken nuggets

so he dragged the engine to the back of the pallet

and we realised we'd have to take the manifolds and a few other things off

this wasnt a big deal but took some time

eventually we got the engine in the air and plunked it on matins mums trailer for the trip to my house

getting the TF out my garage proved to be a right arse on as the breaks had seized on the dam thing but out she came, seeing daylight for the first time in what 3 months?

also the first time i got a chance to get a pic of my two MGs together :D

sorry for the bad quality of the pic but it was quite late by this time so i photoshopped it lol

anyway here she is sat in my garage!

engine ready for a strip and re-con before going to AA Autosport!

not a bad nights work we had a right laugh all round in-spite of the conditions and all went for a pint after :D

brilliant
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: I have my engine!!!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #19127

Neat photo diary, keep it coming...........

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: I have my engine!!!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #19135

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Are you putting it through the washing machine first?

Re: I have my engine!!!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #19144

Or are you building the world's first 7000rpm spin washing machine?
Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)

Re: I have my engine!!!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #19149

Ah, you do tell a good story, Adam.:cheer:

The only mistake you made was trying to follow the instructions!:woohoo:

By the way. Sir Terry Pratchett asserts that the use of that many exclamation marks is a clear sign of insanity. Ahaha, ahahahaaa!
David
:shrug:

Re: I have my engine!!!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #19190

Or are you building the world's first 7000rpm spin washing machine?

no but lets do that!!!

thanks guys the engine is sat in my garage now tempting me away from uni work lol

so want to get stuck in and strip it down but i need to take my time with this one... for once i dont think my unique approach of standing there like an angle-grinder wielding grinning idiot and then using a large hammer after the angle grinder burns out will work too well

just hope the engine is sound internally, need to get a few more bits and bobs ordered too, like some driveshafts which at the moment i can't find anywhere!
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!

Re: I have my engine!!!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #19197

:ohmy: what's happened to the younger generation???

It weren't like that in my day! A bit of scaffold pole, some rope, a mate and a couple of step ladders did for us. :lol:

Wait for the comments - rope? you were lucky!! :whistle:

Life is its own answer, accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible, expect no more." - Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles ...

Last edit: Post by Tigger.

Re: I have my engine!!!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #19198

Those were the days, a bit of rope an a plank, only became a problem when the only bolt you could get in first was the one under the engine an your brother was a wimp an could only hold the engine for 10 mins before dropping it pinning your head to the drive TWICE!!!!!!!
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Re: I have my engine!!!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #19231

Those were the days, a bit of rope an a plank, only became a problem when the only bolt you could get in first was the one under the engine an your brother was a wimp an could only hold the engine for 10 mins before dropping it pinning your head to the drive TWICE!!!!!!!

lmao aye!

this thread has a distinct tinge of the yorkshire man to it lol

i would have tried bodging it tigger but this was one heavy engine! pig iorn and the gearbox was still on... just too hard to lift with 3 of us not to mention getting it in the boot of my car would be impossible when im done reconning it ::(

Re: I have my engine!!!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #19233

lmao aye!

this thread has a distinct tinge of the yorkshire man to it lol

i would have tried bodging it tigger but this was one heavy engine! pig iorn and the gearbox was still on... just too hard to lift with 3 of us not to mention getting it in the boot of my car would be impossible when im done reconning it ::(

Eee lad, thas nowt but a wimp!:rofl:
David
:shrug:

Re: I have my engine!!!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #19241

Eee lad, thas nowt but a wimp!:rofl:

I say, you Northern chaps sound like a hardy bunch. Down South we'd have a Jeeves to do that sort of thing for us.
Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)

Re: I have my engine!!!!!! 13 years 5 months ago #19246

I kinda assumed you'd got a k series lump and was wondering what you were talking about so I checked the picture, although it's a T16 it has no inlet manifold so should weigh about the same as a 850 A series..................

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT