Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

mgf crunchy reverse gear 13 years 9 months ago #14636

thanks for your help over my crunchy gearbox , i filled the fluid up and its fine now , will keep an eye on the level to see if its losing any but so far so good :)

Excellent!:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

cant select gears - even with engine off - is it a damaged clutch? 13 years 9 months ago #15028

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hi the problem of my crunchy reverse gear seemed fixed just by topping up the fluid level and has been fine for a couple of weeks . yesturday the car was driving fine in the am , in the pm i got to the end of my road and could not select gears finaly only finding 3rd and limping the car home. the gears wont select even with the engine off - has the clutch seized /broken or is it a gear linkage/ master cylinder / slave type problem ?, clutch fluid is fine

mgf crunchy reverse gear 13 years 9 months ago #15029

hi the problem of my crunchy reverse gear seemed fixed just by topping up the fluid level and has been fine for a couple of weeks . yesturday the car was driving fine in the am , in the pm i got to the end of my road and could not select gears finaly only finding 3rd and limping the car home. the gears wont select even with the engine off - has the clutch seized /broken or is it a gear linkage/ master cylinder / slave type problem ?, clutch fluid is fine

That's a shame!.
If the clutch fluid is OK, you need to check whether the clutch arm is moving or not?
Also, look underneath at the gear linkage cables, they can break, or come loose. Get someone to attempt to change gear, while you're watching the cables.

Get the engine inspection cover off, and get someone to operate the clutch, you will be able to see if the clutch arm is moving or seized. If the clutch arm is moving OK, then its probably the clutch friction plate that has gone.
If the arm is not moving then there's your problem.

Photo from underneath.

David

mgf crunchy reverse gear 13 years 9 months ago #15030

I would check the cylinder as well. I had this happen on my F a few weeks back, lost all the fluid, hence no clutch, well hardly any.. Got a new one shoved it on and its been fine since :)
Angel to Devil in 0.2 seconds...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oi, stop using foul language or I'll give you one!

gear linkage cable ! 13 years 9 months ago #15032

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hi , had the aa out , its a snapped cable -doh ! still better than a clutch plate:)

mgf crunchy reverse gear 13 years 9 months ago #15033

hi , had the aa out , its a snapped cable -doh ! still better than a clutch plate:)

Much cheaper alternative, believe me!
David

mgf crunchy reverse gear 13 years 9 months ago #15042

Not so good, the subframe needs to be dropped to get access to change a gear cable:(
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

mgf crunchy reverse gear 13 years 9 months ago #15056

Here's a how to? Translated from German but gives you a good idea.

If it's just the cable end that gone, you can get replacements here .
David

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT