Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

What the heck?! 13 years 11 months ago #13483

ok ladies and gents hows this for an odd one:

Thursday night i went to pick the girl friend up from the train station

I was in high sprits as i hadn't seen her in 4 weeks and I'd had a good day at work

My spirits were further lifted as I pulled up at the traffic lights under the railway bridge in Middlesbrough... the exhaust gave a lovely gargle and pop as I heel and toe downshifted and came to a stop... the resonation under the huge bridge was spine tingling... the fact that one of the local pub go-ers remarked to his mate "**** me thats a lush MG" really made me grin and i gave her a blip of the throttle as I turned off for the train station.

We then made our way home with the roof down via Tesco to pick up a bottle of wine and all was well in the world...

now in the way of my thread/stories I'm sure you can tell an utter catastrophe is about to befall me and/or Bucephalus

and sue enough i pulled away from tesco and my water temp gauge went totally off the scale

Now i've had a slow coolant leak for some time but it was external and although I couldn't figure out where it was coming from i knew it wasn't anything drastic so I let things be

now I was thinking "well there goes the HG"

we sat at the side of the road as all cooled down and then i coxed her the 200 yards back home

too add insult to injury her MOT was scheduled for Friday which I had to cancel as I figured I would be spending the day dropping the engine out to replace the HG

now... next day and I remove the engine access hatch and top up the coolant, she warms up fine and runs without a fault

temp gauge is back to normal

and no leak

now I'm confused

so off for a blast and she runs at her customary (for me) 4-6.5k Revs the whole way to the beach and back and doesn't bat an eyelid

so I'm thinking the gauge just had a ***** fit?

anyone else have any ideas what went wrong?
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What the heck?! 13 years 11 months ago #13486

ok ladies and gents hows this for an odd one:

Thursday night i went to pick the girl friend up from the train station

I was in high sprits as i hadn't seen her in 4 weeks and I'd had a good day at work

My spirits were further lifted as I pulled up at the traffic lights under the railway bridge in Middlesbrough... the exhaust gave a lovely gargle and pop as I heel and toe downshifted and came to a stop... the resonation under the huge bridge was spine tingling... the fact that one of the local pub go-ers remarked to his mate "**** me thats a lush MG" really made me grin and i gave her a blip of the throttle as I turned off for the train station.

We then made our way home with the roof down via Tesco to pick up a bottle of wine and all was well in the world...

now in the way of my thread/stories I'm sure you can tell an utter catastrophe is about to befall me and/or Bucephalus

and sue enough i pulled away from tesco and my water temp gauge went totally off the scale

Now i've had a slow coolant leak for some time but it was external and although I couldn't figure out where it was coming from i knew it wasn't anything drastic so I let things be

now I was thinking "well there goes the HG"

we sat at the side of the road as all cooled down and then i coxed her the 200 yards back home

too add insult to injury her MOT was scheduled for Friday which I had to cancel as I figured I would be spending the day dropping the engine out to replace the HG

now... next day and I remove the engine access hatch and top up the coolant, she warms up fine and runs without a fault

temp gauge is back to normal

and no leak

now I'm confused

so off for a blast and she runs at her customary (for me) 4-6.5k Revs the whole way to the beach and back and doesn't bat an eyelid

so I'm thinking the gauge just had a ***** fit?

anyone else have any ideas what went wrong?

Could be an electrical glitch? Could be you have air in the coolant system? If you get air at the coolant temp sensor, it does give a rapid rise on the gauge.
David
:shrug:

What the heck?! 13 years 11 months ago #13489

Could be an electrical glitch? Could be you have air in the coolant system? If you get air at the coolant temp sensor, it does give a rapid rise on the gauge.

i assume a gauge fault... i suppose i could have air in the system but how would it have got there?
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!

What the heck?! 13 years 11 months ago #13491

You did say you were losing coolant?
David
:shrug:

What the heck?! 13 years 11 months ago #13492

lol indeed and as liquid goes out air goes in (now i feel a bit dim)

What the heck?! 13 years 11 months ago #13496

You need to fix the leak and vent the system properly

What the heck?! 13 years 11 months ago #13499

if i can find the leak lol

What the heck?! 13 years 11 months ago #13506

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Back from hols mate.

When you say "topped up the coolant", how much are we talking?

What the heck?! 13 years 11 months ago #13537

welcome back bud, how were they? didn't realize you were away until i came on here or i wouldn't have text you (i'm sure the sun was more interesting than broken TFs... assuming you were on a sunny holiday? lol) :)

erm there was about 4/5cm of coolant left in the expansion tank

What the heck?! 13 years 11 months ago #13540

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Ah OK. Was worried the coolant had disappeared out of sight. That would have been bad.
You do realise my HGF started with a slow disappearance of coolant.
Could just be a drip somewhere though.
Holiday was good. A week in a hot tub.

What the heck?! 13 years 11 months ago #13696

Ah OK. Was worried the coolant had disappeared out of sight. That would have been bad.
You do realise my HGF started with a slow disappearance of coolant.
Could just be a drip somewhere though.
Holiday was good. A week in a hot tub.

a whole week in a hottub? bet your well and truly wrinkled

the leak has been found, the inlet manifold gasket appears to have died a spectacular death :)

What the heck?! 13 years 10 months ago #13746

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey guys, i had this happen to me twice in the peroid of about a month...
i now have HGF... the oil and water havent mixed but i have a bright pink engine block where it has pee'd coolant out of the head all down the block...
I would keep an eye on your coolant levels ...
Oz.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT