Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Brake hoses 13 years 11 months ago #13226

Hi all was thinking about giving a new red coating to the calipers and thought I'd take them out and spray them off the car, since I need to remove the brake hose and the hose feels a bit stiff, thought I would replace the hoses, saw the braided hoses on Ebay, is it worth paying the extra money for them? and is it even more worth it paying about £20 for Stainless, I don't use the car in rain (not that we see much of it here anyway) and we don't have salt on roads. thanks for the advise :)
FM :rolleyes:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brake hoses 13 years 11 months ago #13227

mine has braided hoses all round but were on when i bought it 3 years ago

personally im going back to my bike days.....the first thing i put on a new bike were stainless steel braided hoses...usually goodridge...not for weather reasons but performance

do you do track days?

if not i dont see the point to be honest in fitting expensive braided hoses

i dont want to bore you with the reasons for a bike but unless your wanting extra performance breaking i wouldnt bother

someone may come along and say otherwise but thats just my two penneth mate
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Is so skint he's off to become a sperm donor.....when i think of the money i've let slip through my fingers!!!:whistle:

Brake hoses 13 years 11 months ago #13228

many thanks! I don't do track days yet! but I do bit of dangerous driving :) so thanks for the tip as I would like to improve braking more than performance!

Brake hoses 13 years 11 months ago #13229

thats the point i was trying to make with the bike though bud.....performance is aided by the braking ie lap times and on a nice sunny day riding all day with lets say moderate speed..hehe....the braids really do work on a bike...im just not sure about the car....i drive with a little va va voom but nothing where i personally feel my braids are making a big enough difference

i know i harp on about bikes but it cant be under estimated the diff braids make in braking over the period of a days use or track use when riding hard
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Is so skint he's off to become a sperm donor.....when i think of the money i've let slip through my fingers!!!:whistle:

Brake hoses 13 years 11 months ago #13230

I have read that braided hoses are really for gravel rallys etc to armour the hose a little. A new normal rubber hose will be as good as braided, unless the quality of them is poor. After all, if the hose can expand enough to affect your brakes, something is wrong with them. A standard hose has braiding inside it anyway, its just not visible and shiny. I think its PVA fibres in them..
I know people say the fit them and the brakes are great again, but has anyone fitted new OE ones, then fitted braided hoses to compare like for like?
Whichever you choose, new ones will make some difference, the biggest gain will be from new fluid though.
If you go braided, stainless fittings are worth a bit extra though.

Brake hoses 13 years 11 months ago #13233

• Visitor
  • Visitor
the braided hoses are mainly for keeping the brakes pressurised. Being steel they do not expand anywhere near as much as the rubbers ones, therefore keeping the pressure up

Brake hoses 13 years 11 months ago #13235

the braided hoses are mainly for keeping the brakes pressurised. Being steel they do not expand anywhere near as much as the rubbers ones, therefore keeping the pressure up

my point exactly........after a hard ride without them the lever is right back to the bar therefore the pressure has gradually been lost

still dont think a car needs them....:whistle:

Brake hoses 13 years 11 months ago #13236

Thanks for the tips going for normal OEM rubber hoses at a bargain tho! as from B&G a full set is more expensive then a goodrisge braided set!

Brake hoses 13 years 11 months ago #13247

Hi, i am fitting Goodridge S/S Braided brake hoses to mine, they dont expand as much as rubber and are cheaper than a set of original hoses for the MGF, i bought mine from the MGOC (£45.00 for the set) although you can buy them fdirectly from British Motor Heritage ~ www.motoringclassics.co.uk who now own Goodridge, please dont buy cheap ones on ebay!!! Whilst you have everything apart have a good look at the rear brake pipes from one side of the car to the other as theese are a common MoT failure through rusting, and they are a pain to replace!!! Hope this helps ~ Bryan

Brake hoses 13 years 11 months ago #13249

thanks for the advise the ones I'm buying off Ebay are original OEM items so I'm hoping they're good quality :) I'm just replacing them as they feel stiff to bend and I was told this means they're past their sell by date!

btw are the front hoses all the same for the TF being AP brakes or not? many thanks

also I can't seem to find any hoses on the site you gave me, do you have a direct link please? thanks

Brake hoses 13 years 11 months ago #13255

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I have fitted stainless braided hoses with colour coded blue sleeve and stainless fittings. My thought was I am changing them so I might as well fit the best I can.

Brake hoses 13 years 11 months ago #13259

That's what I usually do also, as said rubber hoses are more expensive than stainless from b&G and rimmers

also can someone help me? are the fron hoses the same for all TFs being 115 135 or 160? Thanks

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT