Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Help diagnose mysterious noise please! 14 years 6 months ago #1314

• kara's Avatar Topic Author
  • kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
In the last couple of weeks (can't really pinpoint when exactly) a strange noise has appeared.

It's a fluttering noise, definitely from the rear of the car, and increases/decreases with speed. I've checked side vents - nothing stuck in there, jacked up the rear and spun the wheels to make sure it wasn't a problem with the discs. So what can it be? The only thing I can think is maybe the alternator but this looked ok a couple of months ago when we removed it. Also I used the wrong oil - 10/W/40 synthetic not part synthetic but not sure how much of a difference that would make. :dunno:

So... can anyone diagnose my flutter? :blush:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Help diagnose mysterious noise please! 14 years 6 months ago #1323

i had a wrird noisa a while back - turn out to be my atlas in the seat pocket! glad i found it before i posted lol

Help diagnose mysterious noise please! 14 years 6 months ago #1324

• kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer

i had a wrird noisa a while back - turn out to be my atlas in the seat pocket! glad i found it before i posted lol

Lol that would have been embarassing! I've emptied my boot so it's definitely not anything in there!

Help diagnose mysterious noise please! 14 years 6 months ago #1329

Possibility's could be rear bumper, mud flaps, hood, Ariel cable in boot, loose number plate, the list is endless. What have you moved / tinkered with in the last week or two.

I wish

THe Lone Gunman

Help diagnose mysterious noise please! 14 years 6 months ago #1333

• kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer

Possibility's could be rear bumper, mud flaps, hood, Ariel cable in boot, loose number plate, the list is endless. What have you moved / tinkered with in the last week or two.

OMG I've tinkered with almost everything on the car in the last few weeks! :lol:

I should mention that there's a VERY faint flutter with the engine running but when the car is stationary. I'll remove the rear mudflaps and check licence plate, it's definitely not the hood as have swapped over to a hardtop and it's still making the noise. It's almost like something has come loose and is fluttering around. :confused:

Help diagnose mysterious noise please! 14 years 6 months ago #1336

OMG I've tinkered with almost everything on the car in the last few weeks! :lol:

I should mention that there's a VERY faint flutter with the engine running but when the car is stationary. I'll remove the rear mudflaps and check licence plate, it's definitely not the hood as have swapped over to a hardtop and it's still making the noise. It's almost like something has come loose and is fluttering around. :confused:

Hope you manage to get it sorted :)

I've gained a squeak at slow speeds for some reason!

Help diagnose mysterious noise please! 14 years 6 months ago #1338

Hope you manage to get it sorted :)

I've gained a squeak at slow speeds for some reason!

That is the hamster taking a rest..!!

Help diagnose mysterious noise please! 14 years 6 months ago #1345

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Fluttering noises can sometimes be down to exhaust leaks.

Does the flutter get louder when revving the car stationary, or when the car is moving and getting faster?

Help diagnose mysterious noise please! 14 years 6 months ago #1346

Does it increase with the engine revs? I would suspect alternator belt first off, they make funny noises when they are failing. You don't want a snapped alternator belt, it tends to take the cambelt with it too :yikes:
Oil wont make a single difference.

Help diagnose mysterious noise please! 14 years 6 months ago #1349

If your getting the "Flutter " when stationary then I dint think it could be any of the items I mentioned. I am thinking its more likely a loose baffle in the silencer. Or the Exhaust pipe is a bit too close to some bodywork. Get an Idiot / volunteer / husband to stand at the back and listen and give the engine a few blips ( just low revs, need to here the noise not the engine ). Could be your new Bumper / Exhaust have moved since you fitted them !

I wish

THe Lone Gunman

Help diagnose mysterious noise please! 14 years 6 months ago #1390

• kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Hi guys! Thank you so much for your advice!

Paul (Technozen) was kind enough to pay me a visit this evening and it turns out I must have a lot of wax in my ears because it's from the front of the car and the noise it's making when it's stationary is a different noise all together! :o:o:o

Because it's from the front and increases/decreases with engine speed his best guess is something to do with the tyres. So I'm gonna jack the front up and rotate them. If I hear it great I'll have narrowd it down, if not then I'll put on the spare, go for a drive and see if it still makes the noise. Although if it is the tyres not really sure exactly what it could be or if it's even a bad thing! :dunno:

Help diagnose mysterious noise please! 14 years 6 months ago #1435

Well now that you have your "ears on baby". We can move on a bit.
The basic diagnosis still works, What have you moved recently ? Front bumper ?
What have you added, front wheels ? Could be brake pads, loose bumper. Then you could have tyre damage on the inner walls, do you have speed bumps in your area, that you cross regularly ? I seem to remember that you have or about to add a temperature gauge, is the cable loose ? Mud flaps, inner wheel guards even number plate, I expect you have mooved all of those, so good luck on the search !!

I wish

THe Lone Gunman

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT