Sign In   Register

Topic

Broke my F at a Club day 13 years 11 months ago #12971

• bacchus's Avatar Topic Author
  • bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Food, Photography & Little British Sports Cars
Picture this if you will, a club day at Symmons plains raceway, 185km/h and around 6000ish rpm in 4th gear down the back straight, chasing a Jaguar XK8 when at least two cylinders decide to take a break. At this point I don't think it is mechanical it seems more electrical perhaps the coil pack, leads or maybe plugs. There are no nasty mechanical sounds or oil where it shouldn't be just a smell of unburned fuel and a really nasty miss.

So what do you gurus reckon? where do I start first?

Craig

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Broke my F at a Club day 13 years 11 months ago #12972

Try swapping the coil packs.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Broke my F at a Club day 13 years 11 months ago #12973

Bad news, Craig, but I agree that the symptoms sound very like a duff coilpack.

Checking which 2 cylinders are not firing would confirm this.:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Broke my F at a Club day 13 years 11 months ago #13006

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
I pulled the engine cover off tonight and started her up, Yuck there is a horrible clatter I don't know what you lot think but it sounds a lot worse than a dodgy coil pack to me but then I'm a mechanical bunny with the K Series. Have a listen and see what you think.

http://www.users.on.net/~clarge/MGF/MFG%20Engine%20Diagnostic.m4a

On a brighter note here is some in car video of the track day before it all went wrong.

[nomedia=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LypCb4ullPs]YouTube- MGCCT Supersprints May 2010[/nomedia]

Craig

Broke my F at a Club day 13 years 11 months ago #13029

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
The first link doesn't work for me mate.

Hope it isn't too terminal. Could the timing belt have slipped?

The second one does. That Jag doesn't stand a chance in the bends does it? :)

Broke my F at a Club day 13 years 11 months ago #13066

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
I really don't know if it could be a slipped timing belt. I'm pretty much flailing about in the dark, I think the only option is to work my way through in a vaguely systematic order and try and eliminate all possibilities. I don't suppose someone would like to package up Russell and post him out here?

I have to say, I was pretty chuffed that the Clubman and the Jag were not getting away :woohoo:

I pulled the rocker cover off this evening and cranked her over, there doesn't seem to be anything spectacularly obvious there, but in the interests of keeping everyone informed and involved here is a video.

[nomedia=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iJUefENOgs]YouTube- MGF - Rocker cover off[/nomedia]

Craig

Broke my F at a Club day 13 years 11 months ago #13103

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
My son was off sick from school today so I had a carer's day. I took the opportunity to have a further play/investigate. This is what I found so far;

The from what I can see the CAM belt shows no sign of slippage and when I took the rocker cover off the the cam lobes are all contacting and pushing the lifters correctly. I took the the plugs out and she spins sweet and quiet but when the plugs came out they were damp. I'm getting spark from all plugs so the leads and coil packs must be ok. When I run her, she still sounds like she is running on two with a nasty knock, also the exhaust manifold gasket is blown. My next step is a compression test, when I find compression gauge that is up to the job. Then its head off time depending on the results of the compression test.

Craig

Broke my F at a Club day 13 years 11 months ago #13135

Anymore news? I am going to the Bryant Park Hill Climb this Sunday. At he last event I entered people were comenting on the amount of smoke being produced as I changed into second, I think it's the FPR pumping in a far to rich a mixture at max revs, well that's what I telling myself whilst waiting for the BANG!

Broke my F at a Club day 13 years 11 months ago #13151

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
I haven't done the compression test yet, but given the blown exhaust manifold gasket and the rest of the symptom, I'm tipping burnt valves and or HFG between a couple of pots. Good luck at the hill climb, I'll be putting the MGB back together so I have something to drive until I can get the F back on the road here is the plan;

1. Working B at my place this weekend to get the MGB back on the road so I have something to drive.

2. Depending on the results from the compression test tomorrow. Find a second hand K series to drop into the F so I can have my baby back.

3. Strip the motor that comes out and rebuild it with all the go fast bits and shoot for sub 1:10's at Symmons Plains.

"Cue evil laugh" - MWhahahahahah

Craig

Broke my F at a Club day 13 years 11 months ago #13152

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
Well the Compression test results are in, 1 - 160psi, 2 - 0psi, 3 - 160psi, 4 - 120psi. Looks like its head off time.

Craig

Broke my F at a Club day 13 years 11 months ago #13380

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
The motor is coming out next weekend and going to Adelaide, I should have the replacement shortly after that now I just have to find $3K to pay for it

Craig

Broke my F at a Club day 13 years 11 months ago #13382

The motor is coming out next weekend and going to Adelaide, I should have the replacement shortly after that now I just have to find $3K to pay for it

Craig

That is not to bad :whistle:
Saw Adrian at the weekend racing in the State series, he had brought a few F/TF cars from South Australia that he maintains. Jason Holmes in his ZR190 was fourth behind some very fast V8's and ahead of the TF190 Cup cars

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT