Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Help!!!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12427

• kara's Avatar Topic Author
  • kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Ok I'm not sure what just happened to Stevie but I'm praying someone on here has an idea.....

I was driving home today & as I turned into my road something weird happened... Basically the corner was quite tight & I "may" have taken it too fast so as I was turning the car made this weird LOUD clunking sound almost as if I'd just had a blowout and was still driving... But there was no change in handling. So I pulled over had a quick look over the wheels & couldn't see anything obvious so decided to crawl back home as was only 500 yards from the flat. Upon driving forward there was a loud clunking noise from the front possibly drivers side... It almost sounded as though I was driving over a refuse bin... Also one of the front brake discs sounded like it was groaning or rubbing. I mean what on earth could have happened? There was no change to how the car drives & after driving for about 30 secs there were no further noises :dunno: any ideas??? All I can think is something to do with the ABS or maybe track rod ends but I really don't have a clue!

Also don't know if it's related but my trackings off as it pulls to the left when braking... Hmm & I was turning sharp right & braking when the noise happened :CJJ:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Help!!!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12428

The front springs on the ZS move slightly on their cups, sometimes they don't move until the last moment and then shift with a twang, if this happens a lot a few drops of engine oil on the cup help.

Not sure about the brake noise, if the car is performing properly now it may just have been a stone caught under the pad, that's a very disconcerting noise.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Help!!!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12430

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Pulling to the left could be a sign of your right hand brake disc/caliper having problems rather than tracking. If it was tracking then the car would pull to the side all the time and on acceleration as well as braking.

I would jack up the front offside wheel.

Grab it at the 12 and 6 oclock position and try to pull and see if there is any play. (checking wheel bearings)

Next, try to spin the wheel and see if it spins freely.

Next, take the wheel off and inspect the disc and pads for signs of problems.

Help!!!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12431

• kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer

The front springs on the ZS move slightly on their cups, sometimes they don't move until the last moment and then shift with a twang, if this happens a lot a few drops of engine oil on the cup help.

Not sure about the brake noise, if the car is performing properly now it may just have been a stone caught under the pad, that's a very disconcerting noise.

that's a good answer thanks mate! Although wouldn't it just have twanged once whereas the noise I heard carried on for a little bit? :dunno:

Help!!!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12433

• kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer

Pulling to the left could be a sign of your right hand brake disc/caliper having problems rather than tracking. If it was tracking then the car would pull to the side all the time and on acceleration as well as braking.

I would jack up the front offside wheel.

Grab it at the 12 and 6 oclock position and try to pull and see if there is any play. (checking wheel bearings)

Next, try to spin the wheel and see if it spins freely.

Next, take the wheel off and inspect the disc and pads for signs of problems.

Sounds good... I'll go do it now... Are you gonna be around later as I'll take some pics of the disc and caliper (brakes really aren't my strong point!) maybe you'll spot something I missed! x

Help!!!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12435

This may be WAY off but maybe you managed to pop the CV joint out of its cir-clip and it almost came apart, then popped itself back together as you turned the wheel the other way. I had it happen on a Princess I had years ago.... the clunking noise you described sound just like a worn or loose CV joint 'ball cage'.

Help!!!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12438

• kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer

This may be WAY off but maybe you managed to pop the CV joint out of its cir-clip and it almost came apart, then popped itself back together as you turned the wheel the other way. I had it happen on a Princess I had years ago.... the clunking noise you described sound just like a worn or loose CV joint 'ball cage'.

Lol I don't know if I'm that lucky though! :lol:

Well I've jacked her up & had a look. Couple of interesting things to note... One, I have a puncture on the offside front tyre! Two, I'm pretty sure front brake calipers have seized as the wheels were a nightmare to turn... Really stiff & also the pad isn't moving on & off the disc when I press the brakes... They're just staying on the disc. Thirdly, the springs seem to have a plastic casing on them and on the drivers side this has crumbled off slightly in one area and underneath looks pretty rusty. Finally am I right in thinking when you have ABS the back wheels won't spin when the car's jacked up?

Anyhoo I've taken some shots so will upload them later... Still not sure what would cause the noise I heard? :confused:

Help!!!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12442

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Lol I don't know if I'm that lucky though! :lol:

Well I've jacked her up & had a look. Couple of interesting things to note... One, I have a puncture on the offside front tyre! Two, I'm pretty sure front brake calipers have seized as the wheels were a nightmare to turn... Really stiff & also the pad isn't moving on & off the disc when I press the brakes... They're just staying on the disc. Thirdly, the springs seem to have a plastic casing on them and on the drivers side this has crumbled off slightly in one area and underneath looks pretty rusty. Finally am I right in thinking when you have ABS the back wheels won't spin when the car's jacked up?

Anyhoo I've taken some shots so will upload them later... Still not sure what would cause the noise I heard? :confused:

If the ignition is off then ABS shouldn't do anything, and it will only do anything with the brak pedal pressed any way. Don't forget to take the handbrake off, that will stop the rear wheels spinning. :)

Seized pads can cause clunking as they let go or move. The spring thing sounds cosmetic, but if possible I would try to take the plastic cover off and check out the spring, making sure it isn't snapped.

Help!!!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12443

• kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer

If the ignition is off then ABS shouldn't do anything, and it will only do anything with the brak pedal pressed any way. Don't forget to take the handbrake off, that will stop the rear wheels spinning. :)

Seized pads can cause clunking as they let go or move. The spring thing sounds cosmetic, but if possible I would try to take the plastic cover off and check out the spring, making sure it isn't snapped.

Ok hypothetically I may have possibly forgotten to release the handbrake. :blush:

Anyhoo :whistle: ...the front pads were replaced not two months ago by a local garage so is it possible they've seized so soon? :dunno:

Help!!!! 14 years 2 weeks ago #12449

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Ok hypothetically I may have possibly forgotten to release the handbrake. :blush:

Hypothetically speaking, that would do it. :whistle:

Anyhoo :whistle: ...the front pads were replaced not two months ago by a local garage so is it possible they've seized so soon? :dunno:

It is possible. The only real way to find out is to remove the caliper and see if you can move the pads.

Help!!!! 14 years 1 week ago #12451

If the reason for the calipers not retracting hasn't been cured then they could easily wear quickly. I've had problems with all 4 corners on my ZS sticking at different times.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Help!!!! 14 years 1 week ago #12452

• kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer

Hypothetically speaking, that would do it. :whistle:

It is possible. The only real way to find out is to remove the caliper and see if you can move the pads.

Well she drove to work fine today so reckon I'll leave it till the weekend t investigate.

Can't believe I made such a silly error with the handbrake! :doh: Must admit though it was kinda fun working on a car again... in this job you spend so long preening yourself, dressing up & tottering around in heels that it was nice to get down & dirty again! :woo2: :lol:

If the reason for the calipers not retracting hasn't been cured then they could easily wear quickly. I've had problems with all 4 corners on my ZS sticking at different times.

I'll check it out at the weekend I think, thanks sooo much for your advice hun! Positive rep given to you & Clive! :thanks:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT