Sign In   Register

Topic

280mm brake disc upgrade 14 years 2 months ago #11103

280mm fronts have been available for a while from Mike Satur and MGOC but the kits are quite pricey at about £215.
Chris

That's the problem, the price. What I'm hoping to find is a 280mm disc that will fit with the same brackets as CJJ found in the rear kit, even if the discs need machining to fit. The brackets are cheap enough to get made up so it's just the cost of the rings and drilling the discs :yesnod:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

280mm brake disc upgrade 14 years 2 months ago #11105

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.

Ok thanks :) Just looking around now for some 280mm discs and have a few questions. What is it that makes the F discs different? I can see that the height of the Focus disc is different to the F but what is the problem with the PCD? Is that why the Focus discs have been machined to move the stud holes? Surely there must be a 280mm vented disc out there that is identical to the Focus rears :yesnod:

I think he chose those particular Focus discs because they are 4x100 pcd, which means it's pretty easy to slot the holes to 95.25mm. Then locate it on a spigot ring. The difference in offset is allowed for in the caliper bracket he has made up.

I have been looking for an appropriate 280mm vented disc for some time, and have finally found that the some BMW Minis have a vented front disc as close as I can find.
It is a 276.5mm diameter. 44mm height and 64mm bore. It is also a 4x100 pcd(so ripe for slotting).

The F is 238mm; 43.2mm; 66mm. The F disc locates on the studs and on the circumference of the hub flange.
The difficulty is that you also need to know that the internal diameter of the central hub of the proposed bigger disc. Will it fit over the flange of the F hub?

To find the best option really needs someone who can get hold of the actual discs, or can get access to more dimensional measurements.
David
:shrug:

280mm brake disc upgrade 14 years 2 months ago #11113

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Don't know if this is any good. You could try asking them what the disc is off.

http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=1222&cat=2309&page=1

David, I'm not sure I would worry too much about the disc/flange fit. Yes, the 240mm discs are quite a close fit, but I don't think it is for load bearing purposes. The 304mm AP discs do not sit on the flange as the hub centre of the disc is a lot bigger than the hub itself.

280mm brake disc upgrade 14 years 2 months ago #11129

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David

David, I'm not sure I would worry too much about the disc/flange fit. Yes, the 240mm discs are quite a close fit, but I don't think it is for load bearing purposes. The 304mm AP discs do not sit on the flange as the hub centre of the disc is a lot bigger than the hub itself.

It's OK Clive, I just didn't express myself clearly. I just meant that the the new disc centre drum would also have to be big enough to go over the flange.
And that having the physical disc you would be able to see if it fit over OK.

But I suppose that the F/TF hub is probably at the small end of things anyway, flange-wise.:yesnod:
David

280mm brake disc upgrade 14 years 2 months ago #11149

I bit the bullet and ordered the MS big brake kit last night :yesnod: I can take the measurements and let you know what they are if you want David, not that I'd condone you making up your own set or anything like that. Purely for interests sake of course :whistle:

280mm brake disc upgrade 14 years 2 months ago #11150

280mm fronts have been available for a while from Mike Satur and MGOC but the kits are quite pricey at about £215.
Chris

£268 all in for the MS one or £340ish for the MGOC one :o

280mm brake disc upgrade 14 years 2 months ago #11151

£268 all in for the MS one or £340ish for the MGOC one :o

So much for my old Satur price list :-)
Chris

280mm brake disc upgrade 14 years 2 months ago #11152

So much for my old Satur price list :-)
Chris

Well they were £215 + vat + delivery :yesnod:

280mm brake disc upgrade 14 years 2 months ago #11167

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David

I bit the bullet and ordered the MS big brake kit last night :yesnod: I can take the measurements and let you know what they are if you want David, not that I'd condone you making up your own set or anything like that. Purely for interests sake of course :whistle:

As you say. :yesnod: It would be interesting .... as a purely theoretical excercise. :whistle:
David

280mm brake disc upgrade 14 years 2 months ago #11249

They've arrived :yesnod:

Rear kit not yet arrived but was collected from the seller on Wednesday so I'm hoping for tomorrow :)

I'll get the...erm..."info" for you as soon as I can David :whistle:

280mm brake disc upgrade 14 years 2 months ago #11251

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David

They've arrived :yesnod:

Rear kit not yet arrived but was collected from the seller on Wednesday so I'm hoping for tomorrow :)

Glad to see the ... project is coming along well:yesnod:
David

280mm brake disc upgrade 14 years 2 months ago #11253

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

When you fit the rears it will be interesting to see how they wear. At the minute I have a wear ring (shiny bit) only half the width of the pad. Will try and take some pics tomorrow. They may be better when worn in.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT