Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Flexi-Pipe replacing 14 years 2 months ago #10868

Whilst on my mission to sort all things wrong with the car, I decided to replace my slightly blowing flexi-pipe with one recommended by a few owners.

Well, after alot of head scratching I managed to get under the car to find the 4 bolts going to the manifold.

The problem is, 2 of them can't be accessed properly with a decent sized extension bar + the fact that there a bit rusty and the 2 I can access are so tight it feels like the manifolds gonna give before the bolts do.

Anyone got any tips, for the meantime I chucked a load of paste in there with the intention of taking it to my garage which I dont want to do as it only was there yesterday for track rod ends, hydrogas and tracking!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Flexi-Pipe replacing 14 years 2 months ago #10887

hey mat i did mine yesterday, the TF is slightly different as it's a 6 bolt not 4, but i was pretty lucky in that they didn't round off

i know what you mean about inaccessibility though the subframe really gets in the way :(

I did it by putting the socket on the bolt and then putting on a 90 degree flexible thingy... not sure how to explain it better than that, its a pice of a socket kit that can turn, and twist... i put a 12" extension bar on the end of that and it went past the subframe easily enough, but they dont help with the rounding!

the other option would be to unbolt the manifold and the flexi from the cat...

you could then hopefully pull it down far enough to get at the nuts better (that sounds so wrong)

the last and most drastic would be to turn the engine on and VEEEERY Carfully crawl under the car and hope the heat of the exhaust gasses will loosen them off, god help you doing this though i hope you dont like your skin!

thats all the ideas i have so far? hope it helps
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Flexi-Pipe replacing 14 years 2 months ago #10905

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Loads of releasing oil, not WD40.

Flexi-Pipe replacing 14 years 2 months ago #11110

just got your rep mate (thanks :D) how'd you get on?
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!

Flexi-Pipe replacing 14 years 2 months ago #11121

LOL havent yet, gonna attempt it again at the weekend!

Flexi-Pipe replacing 14 years 2 months ago #11154

lol good luck mate, i need to fit my C/L motors... really not looking forward to that job lol

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT