Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Changing clutch - suggestions and help? 14 years 2 months ago #10560

Hi All,

I've havent been driving my TF recently due to the weather. The clutch arm appears to be sticking and therefore the clutch slipping....

I dont want to be stuck somewhere without drive.

I have just ordered from Mike Satur a clutch release arm with grease nipple and one of his bell crank assembilies.

I'd like an AP clutch; is ptp the best place to get one?
http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/141_128/mg_rover/mg/flywheel_and_clutch/a_p_racing_clutch_kit_for_1.8_k_series_engine.htm

Or are there any cheaper and reliable places?

light weight flywheels; while the clutch is off i may as well, but i remember someone saying that you can send the standard flywheel away to be lightened and balanced for £30~ish and its better than many of the light weigh ones. True or not? If so where do i send it!

Last but by no means least; xPart say 6.9hrs to change a clutch.... thats mega expensive. I guess they drop the subframe. I know CJJ did a guide, but is there anyone about that doesnt mind helpping (and has done it before); the car is still mobile (as the clutch arm free's itself after a while! lots of leg pumping....) so i can drive to you. Beers and meal are in it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Changing clutch - suggestions and help? 14 years 2 months ago #10562

Hi All,

I've havent been driving my TF recently due to the weather. The clutch arm appears to be sticking and therefore the clutch slipping....

I dont want to be stuck somewhere without drive.

I have just ordered from Mike Satur a clutch release arm with grease nipple and one of his bell crank assembilies.

I'd like an AP clutch; is ptp the best place to get one?
http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/141_128/mg_rover/mg/flywheel_and_clutch/a_p_racing_clutch_kit_for_1.8_k_series_engine.htm

Or are there any cheaper and reliable places?

light weight flywheels; while the clutch is off i may as well, but i remember someone saying that you can send the standard flywheel away to be lightened and balanced for £30~ish and its better than many of the light weigh ones. True or not? If so where do i send it!

Last but by no means least; xPart say 6.9hrs to change a clutch.... thats mega expensive. I guess they drop the subframe. I know CJJ did a guide, but is there anyone about that doesnt mind helpping (and has done it before); the car is still mobile (as the clutch arm free's itself after a while! lots of leg pumping....) so i can drive to you. Beers and meal are in it!

Clive's your man for all those questions.:yesnod:
But have you considered Russell for the actual job?
David
:shrug:

Changing clutch - suggestions and help? 14 years 2 months ago #10570

Clive's your man for all those questions.:yesnod:
But have you considered Russell for the actual job?

Ey CJJ is the master! Im worried what might get broken if Russell does it....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Changing clutch - suggestions and help? 14 years 2 months ago #10571

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
You driving up here? ;)

I would say that is a good price for the AP Racing clutch, it is where I got mine from.

You can get the flywheel lightened, but I bought a proper one. Haven't fitted it to anything yet. My way of thinking was I would rather have a quality flywheel that was designed and built to be lighter rather than a standard one that someone has altered.

Most people change the clutch with the engine still in the car, but I would ask around for a good proctologist as it is very tight for space. Whether there would be enough space to change the lever I don't know. Somebody must have done it.

Changing clutch - suggestions and help? 14 years 2 months ago #10573

You driving up here? ;)

I would say that is a good price for the AP Racing clutch, it is where I got mine from.

You can get the flywheel lightened, but I bought a proper one. Haven't fitted it to anything yet. My way of thinking was I would rather have a quality flywheel that was designed and built to be lighter rather than a standard one that someone has altered.

Most people change the clutch with the engine still in the car, but I would ask around for a good proctologist as it is very tight for space. Whether there would be enough space to change the lever I don't know. Somebody must have done it.

Can you drop the gearbox out of the subframe?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Changing clutch - suggestions and help? 14 years 2 months ago #10581

Can you drop the gearbox out of the subframe?

Yes but it's a right pain in the arse, especially getting it back in.

Changing clutch - suggestions and help? 14 years 2 months ago #10582

Yes but it's a right pain in the arse, especially getting it back in.

Ah so you have experiance in the matter.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Changing clutch - suggestions and help? 14 years 2 months ago #10583

Ah so you have experiance in the matter.....

Unfortunately so :lol: My car came with the gearbox sitting in the passenger footwell so I changed the clutch and fitted the MS release arm before putting it back together. Highly recommend the AP racing clutch :yesnod:

Changing clutch - suggestions and help? 14 years 2 months ago #10585

Come to think about it there is no need to take the gearbox out completely, you can shift it over far enough to the left to get to change the clutch and (I assume) the flywheel too. Still a lot of work involved to disconnect everything and not a huge amount of room to work but still possible. I'd expect most of it would be done by 'feel' rather than 'sight' as most things with these cars :lol:

Changing clutch - suggestions and help? 14 years 2 months ago #10592

Ideally I like to 'see' it so that i can be sure i've put it in right..... starting to sound like a lot of work; is dropping out the subframe really easier?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Changing clutch - suggestions and help? 14 years 2 months ago #10596

After dropping the subframe out of the Abingdon I'd have to say yes, that's the easier way overall. As long as you have a way to lift the body then it's just a bit time consuming disconnecting everything but you'd end up taking pretty much the same of to do the job anyway.

Changing clutch - suggestions and help? 14 years 2 months ago #10600

Ah so i guess i'll have to print off CJJ's guides.... Im hoping i can just use the car over the next week and the use will return the clutch arm to normal.... at the same time i'll collect all the parts to keep the all in one price down!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT