Sign In   Register

Topic

stupid (?) HGF question 14 years 2 months ago #10548

Sorry to hear you have encountered hgf, a horrible feeling that. All will be fine once Russell has done the business :yesnod:

Then you can look forward to some trouble free driving.
2000 MGF 1.8i SE Wedgewood
2002 MG ZS200 Trophy Blue
1999 Land Rover Discovery series 2 TD5

Please Log in to join the conversation.

stupid (?) HGF question 14 years 2 months ago #10559

It might be the ideal time to get a low coolant kit, and get Russell to fit it at the same time.:dunno:
David
:shrug:

stupid (?) HGF question 14 years 2 months ago #10567

• birks's Avatar Topic Author
  • birks
  • Loves going topless!!!

It might be the ideal time to get a low coolant kit, and get Russell to fit it at the same time.:dunno:

Good idea !:yesnod:

This girl doesn't mind getting her hands dirty !!! :lol:

stupid (?) HGF question 14 years 2 months ago #10568

• birks's Avatar Topic Author
  • birks
  • Loves going topless!!!
Does he do washing machines too?

This girl doesn't mind getting her hands dirty !!! :lol:

stupid (?) HGF question 14 years 2 months ago #10569

Does he do washing machines too?

Don't know about that, But I do know a man.............
David

stupid (?) HGF question 14 years 2 months ago #10598

• Visitor
  • Visitor

As a very naive person when it comes to the internal workings of the combustion engine, please forgive me for what may be a really stupid question... :confused:

Are ALL MGF/TFs prone to HGF or is it just certain models, years etc?

I have 97 1.8vvc Mk1 MGF that's done approx 69K (didn't know all that before joining these forums...see I am learning!)...should I be worried??

new Toyos going on on Monday! Aerial getting sorted, along with a good clean & polish (before n after pics to be done!) planned for tomorrow! :yesnod:

thanks
Maggy x

I suppose the 1.8 K series engine in the MGF is more prone than most to HGF. I am also a new MGF owner and it is not difficult to be scared by all the stories about engines blowing up and so on. A spot of MG/Rover bashing as far as I can tell. The best advice I have read is to simply check the water level in the expansion tank regularly (once a week.) This would be important before a longish journey.
There is a water level sensor kit ( ref BGF1111) which you can buy from Brown and Gammons for about £90. This gives a warning if the water level in the cooling system goes down. It can be fitted in two hours and when I take my car out of storage next month I am going to fit one. It will either be the best money I have spent or a waste of cash. Either way it will put my mind at ease.
See the link below for details of the kit.
http://www.ukmgparts.com/product.aspx?CID=a6438a2a-06ce-45d6-a18f-943e9e1c4240&SID=&PID=91827d9b-18de-491e-b074-a1f29941307a

stupid (?) HGF question 14 years 2 months ago #10601

I suppose the 1.8 K series engine in the MGF is more prone than most to HGF. I am also a new MGF owner and it is not difficult to be scared by all the stories about engines blowing up and so on. A spot of MG/Rover bashing as far as I can tell. The best advice I have read is to simply check the water level in the expansion tank regularly (once a week.) This would be important before a longish journey.
There is a water level sensor kit ( ref BGF1111) which you can buy from Brown and Gammons for about £90. This gives a warning if the water level in the cooling system goes down. It can be fitted in two hours and when I take my car out of storage next month I am going to fit one. It will either be the best money I have spent or a waste of cash. Either way it will put my mind at ease.
See the link below for details of the kit.
http://www.ukmgparts.com/product.aspx?CID=a6438a2a-06ce-45d6-a18f-943e9e1c4240&SID=&PID=91827d9b-18de-491e-b074-a1f29941307a

Sound thinking, Tom.
:welcome2:
David

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT