Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Getting rid of my arial? 14 years 2 months ago #10322

Hey guys,

As part of my project i want to clean the lines of the car up, part of that includes removing the door handles

but what i'd like to do as well is remove the arial.... not fit a smaller one but completely remove it

in my classic mini i had his god awful plastic spatchula type thing stuck to my windscreen, which looked awful but worked

anyway what im thinking is can i hide a Effective arial somewhere inside the car so that i can remove the arial mount and smooth it over?

anyway im sure you ICE guys will be able to easily answer this :D thanks
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Getting rid of my arial? 14 years 2 months ago #10325

Try a run of copper wire around the inside of the boot. I did this when my arial snapped and it worked fine.

Getting rid of my arial? 14 years 2 months ago #10327

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
You can put an aerial inside the car, but be prepared for poorer reception as there will be metalwork etc between the aerial and the signal source. This is why an aerial is normally mounted on the highest available part of the car.

Getting rid of my arial? 14 years 2 months ago #10334

You can put an aerial inside the car, but be prepared for poorer reception as there will be metalwork etc between the aerial and the signal source. This is why an aerial is normally mounted on the highest available part of the car.

could i fit it say where the clips are for the back of the hood? all that should stop reception would be the roofs canvas?
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!

Getting rid of my arial? 14 years 2 months ago #10339

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

all that should stop reception would be the roofs canvas?

And the metal frame. The only way to find out is try it.

On a side note, aerials are normally a tuned length for a certain frequency, or range of frequencies, so running a length of wire may be a bit hit or miss.

I would tend to go for an in-car amplified aerial.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CELSUS-SCREEN-GLASS-MOUNT-AMPLIFIED-CAR-AERIAL-AN7920_W0QQitemZ200326876841QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2ea4698ea9

Getting rid of my arial? 14 years 2 months ago #10341

And the metal frame. The only way to find out is try it.

On a side note, aerials are normally a tuned length for a certain frequency, or range of frequencies, so running a length of wire may be a bit hit or miss.

I would tend to go for an in-car amplified aerial.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CELSUS-SCREEN-GLASS-MOUNT-AMPLIFIED-CAR-AERIAL-AN7920_W0QQitemZ200326876841QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2ea4698ea9

thats pretty much what i had in my mini... always sounded fine but it was stuck to the windscreen lol

for £7 i might just give it a try at some point, if it doesnt' work then i can have a think about something else, possibly a BMW style bee sting arial somewhere? don't really like them but still

Getting rid of my arial? 14 years 2 months ago #10342

What about the area behind the windscreen trim?

Getting rid of my arial? 14 years 2 months ago #10343

What about the area behind the windscreen trim?

at the top you mean mate? where the rear view mirror is? i thought about that :)

depends how hard it would be to wire it in there... cant really be bothered removing all the dash again lol

Getting rid of my arial? 14 years 2 months ago #10344

at the top you mean mate? where the rear view mirror is? i thought about that :)

depends how hard it would be to wire it in there... cant really be bothered removing all the dash again lol

To get the trim off all you do is unbolt the sun visors and pull it off.. it is just held on with clips. Theres a bit of space behind it and the windscreen surround itself I think is hollow and if I remember rightly has holes to access the cavity behind the trim!

Getting rid of my arial? 14 years 2 months ago #10346

To get the trim off all you do is unbolt the sun visors and pull it off.. it is just held on with clips. Theres a bit of space behind it and the windscreen surround itself I think is hollow and if I remember rightly has holes to access the cavity behind the trim!

i have no sun-visors so should be simples lol...

its getting the wire from the head unit to the cavity that may be tricky

Getting rid of my arial? 14 years 2 months ago #10348

i have no sun-visors so should be simples lol...

its getting the wire from the head unit to the cavity that may be tricky

Might be able to get up into the void with some coat hanger wire maybe from under the steering wheel area.

Getting rid of my arial? 14 years 2 months ago #10349

Might be able to get up into the void with some coat hanger wire maybe from under the steering wheel area.

hmm not a bad idea... watch this space lol

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT