Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: Coolest MG - Two Seater of the last 20 years 11 years 10 months ago #52981

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Lots of people finding this one difficult.

For a review of the MG SV SVR click here to view . It cannot be cool, if it's supposed to be a supercar but is beaten on performance and costs 10 - 40% more than rivals from Mercedes SL55 AMG, Porsche's 911 Carrera S, nearly all TVR's, Chevrolet Corvette and Dodge Viper.

It has a very poor quality cabin, the one at Gaydon looks like a dog rough kit car on the inside compared to a Mercedes SL55 AMG. I'm sorry but something that missed the mark so badly cannot be cool :nonod:

:nofight: but if you want to change your vote on any of the cool wall polls it's easy. In the bottom left hand corner there is a facility to do so labelled 'Change your vote'

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Coolest MG - Two Seater of the last 20 years 11 years 10 months ago #52994

No Contest! As good as all the others are it has to be the SV.
Any car that gives Clarkson a concussion deserves my vote! :drive: :bang: :rant:

Re: Coolest MG - Two Seater of the last 20 years 11 years 10 months ago #53001

the sv is beautiful but needs to an in another category as a two seater mg needs to be a soft top.

Re: Coolest MG - Two Seater of the last 20 years 11 years 10 months ago #53010

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Tracy, I tried to cover most MG models in group type or by era. As we have no other Supercar the SV joined the recent 2 seaters.

To see all the Cool Wall cars click on this link :yesnod:

At the top of the Cool Wall section you will find the Coolest MG threads set out out in vehicles types. Take a look at them all and cast your vote. :yesnod:

Re: Coolest MG - Two Seater of the last 20 years 11 years 10 months ago #53012

It's all subjective, I woulfnt vote for the RV8 it was so far off the pace when it was launched it was an easy target for journo snipers who deliberatley missed the point. Considering it was an MGB which started on Abingdons drawing boards in the 1950s it was a pretty good effort.. The SV was nightmare to make which prolly affected its selling price in 2 ways, it made it more expensive to build, and kept supply down so prices could be higher. Too high as it turns out but worth a look to see what the traffic would bear, its easier to reduce them.

There is also a certain unintentional exclusiveness to them in a doomed British against the odds sort of way.
I actually voted for the TF out of loyalty to mine. There should actually be a box marked TF with a few tweaks to turn it into the car the engineers wanted to make and then its no contest.
The SV sound however is something else!
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Stan_B. Reason: as ever spellong

Re: Coolest MG - Two Seater of the last 20 years 11 years 10 months ago #53131

my vote goes to the mg vr8 just on the way it looks, the mg sv looks like some one has had it pimped , just doesnt hit the spot for me

Re: Coolest MG - Two Seater of the last 20 years 11 years 1 month ago #108341

This is very difficult as I own a TF 160 but my vote has to go to the MG SV, a totally bonkers car but gorgeous to look at in a masculine way!
The TF comes a very very close second!

Re: Coolest MG - Two Seater of the last 20 years 11 years 1 month ago #108360

Very difficult decision. I don't think any of them are cool tbh.

The rv8 relaunched the brand, it's stylistically a hotch potch it doesn't look right at all and the only thing that's cool about it is its engine. It's a 50 year old car with the very minor facelift.

The f was too tame, it was styled to reflect the past which I can't agree with. It's just too girly.

The Tf could have been a great car, it solved all of the f's problems. Accept it created new ones though penny pinching. And it still didn't have a proper engine and it was still in the wrong place. The midship layout is brilliant for flat handling, but for fun the weight should have been moved off the back axle.

I voted for the sv, but even then it has flaws. Peter Stevens created a good looking car, the management ruined it by doubling the price it was designed to compete in. I loved that you could specify how much power you wanted from the factory, anything between 350-1000hp. However it shouldn't have been built at all, halo cars are one thing, but if your range 10years out of date you should really be spending you money on the cars that fund the company. The sv was the halo car, a little over the top maybe but it a British muscle car. And muscle cars are cool

Coolest MG - Two Seater of the last 20 years 11 years 1 month ago #108363

Had a few MGB GT's, MG/Rover invited me to one of their promotion days.

We could take out all the range on our own around the track apart from the MGBV8. So went out as a passenger and when I said I had a B he said OK, show you how the V8 goes.

And it did go well, fell in love with it, but has always been just out of my price range.

My 160 does go well, just the power and presence of the V8.

So the RV8 got my vote.

But the SV is also a worthy contender. One that turned up to a meet, just to prove they are about.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Coolest MG - Two Seater of the last 20 years 11 years 1 month ago #109209

I cant decide between the RV8 and the SV ......

.....which is the ugliest and most pointless MG ever made, or why anybody would think they are cool. :-?

For cool wall the ONLY choice is between the MGF and the MGTF, but even then I think this should have been further divided.

The MGF is a very pretty car and will slide into clssic mode comfortable in it's slippers and easy chair. Looks good from all angles and has a friendly face. I loved mine.

The MGF has 2 incarnations and these should have been separated.

We have the wholly unsatisfactory Stevens botched broken nose on the MGR TF. Plenty to like about it, like the solid cill and air intakes. The side view was great. The rear boot lip was good, but the square bumper needed more work. The new lights and basic front bumper form was good, but it lost all of the style of the MGF with the awful Stevens broken nose slats.

The NAC TF did little stylisticall EXCEPT fixed the broken nose and made the TF the agressive yet classically pretty car it could have been before Stevens did his worst. OK, NAC/SAIC did botch up the interior by making it more like the black hole of calcutta (It might have been like the bridge od Disater Area's suisidal ship where every time you press one of those black controls, labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it, but it's too black to tell :) )

Coolest MG - Two Seater of the last 20 years 8 years 9 months ago #160239

I am still unsure as to if I like the SV or not :-? one thing it IS distinctive :whistle: .

The RV8 is a beautifully appointed car, something that I had not noticed until MG-Live :oops: , however the rear looks wrong to me :slapme: but I would certainly not turn one down B) the TF is spoilt but the daft angular bits which mess with the bodies curves. It looks like an after thought which I suppose it is really.

So I would have to plumb for the MGF ................................................................. I suppose no surprise seeing as I own three at the moment. Although too old to be mentioned here if I could have any MG then it would be an MGA :broon: .

Last edit: Post by Plezier.

Coolest MG - Two Seater of the last 20 years 8 years 9 months ago #160316

Hi . For me the vote goes to the RV8 as in my book its a proper MG. The SV was a badge engineered car ( as indeed are the Z range of cars) and MG/Rover shouldn't have wasted money on it. If you are going to do something with a badge like MG why not hold your nerve and put the MG GT into production and sell it in the States , it could have sold by the bucket load.

Time to create page: 0.321 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT