Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Let us spray.. (rattle can fun!) 1 year 9 months ago #199487

So, the paint on my rear quarter and boot lid was pretty terrible, where it had been stored with that corner hanging out, bird poo and other delights had rotted through the original paint and it was all a bit of a mess.. so, I had some paint mixed up (LQW Anthracite), bought some acrylic lacquer from halfrauds and set to work! Cleaned the panel with fairy liquid, used a brush to clean between the bumper and all the crevices around the panel to make sure no polish was lurking, then took some 600 grit to it.. the really manky bits got some extra love with the sandpaper.. then pulled a few pin dents out with an eBay hot-glue dent puller (so much easier on a matt panel, the glue really grips!), cleared it off with thinners and gave it two decent overlapping coats (not too thick), the really scuffed bits got a quick dusting beforehand to even them out.. then three progressively heavier coats of lacquer.. a fun half hour was then spent defending the car from the local flying ant population who could clearly smell a paint buffet in the offing and fancied some of that! The boot lid I removed, cut the wires just below the hinge (careful as you have to mark them, there’s two with the same colour coding) and re-soldered and heatshrunk when finished.. I do still have to give it a polish in a week when it’s fully hard as this is straight out of the can, but it’s not bad at all! :)

The issue now it that it shows up the rest of the car.. can I be arsed to paint the doors and bonnet? Only time will tell :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Let us spray.. (rattle can fun!) 1 year 9 months ago #199488

I realised I’d posted thumbnails, so here’s the full sized!

The panel looks very slightly darker than the door but appears to have settled down as it’s dried since the weekend and is not so noticeable now.. I’m sure once the panel and door are polished it’ll be as close as makes no difference.. (also, extra push to paint the door / wing / bonnet :lol: )

Re:Let us spray.. (rattle can fun!) 1 year 9 months ago #199489

Looks good. I did similar on my Lancia a couple of years ago but the paint was a bit thin and I got a run which I've struggled to sand out......

Re:Let us spray.. (rattle can fun!) 1 year 9 months ago #199490

Looks good. I did similar on my Lancia a couple of years ago but the paint was a bit thin and I got a run which I've struggled to sand out......

It’s a pain when that happens.. I got a very slight misty reaction on the lacquer in one bit by the arch but it’s on the surface luckily so I’ll sand it back and polish if I can or just blow a bit more lacquer over it.. it’s a bit hit and miss but I’m surprised how well this turned out!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Notanumber

Let us spray.. (rattle can fun!) 1 year 9 months ago #199497

Wow, looks good wouldn't be able to tell this was a spraycan job. I have tried this in the past with an old volvo, but could not get the result you have accomplished. Compliments !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oh MG, Notanumber

Let us spray.. (rattle can fun!) 1 year 8 months ago #199626

Looks good - tell me more about this hot glue dent removal.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Let us spray.. (rattle can fun!) 1 year 8 months ago #199636

I recently purchased a full set of paintless dent repair tools (hot glue) haven’t used ‘em yet, I have some dented old panels to practice on.
Alas I’m laid up in dry dock at the moment due to bloody Covid which has brought on bronchitis so even though I have plenty of time on my hands ATM I can’t go out into the cold to try them out.
Of course once I’m better I won’t have time due to the backlog of work, my usual luck…… I couldn’t get a bloody kick in a stampede,
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Re:Let us spray.. (rattle can fun!) 1 year 8 months ago #199775

I recently purchased a full set of paintless dent repair tools (hot glue) haven’t used ‘em yet, I have some dented old panels to practice on.
Alas I’m laid up in dry dock at the moment due to bloody Covid which has brought on bronchitis so even though I have plenty of time on my hands ATM I can’t go out into the cold to try them out.
Of course once I’m better I won’t have time due to the backlog of work, my usual luck…… I couldn’t get a bloody kick in a stampede,

That’s what I used to pull the little dinks in mine, they work pretty well once you get the technique down, I’ve tried all sorts, I found panel wiping before gluing helps but then the glue can be a pain to get off the panel (I ended up using a toffee wheel in one area!), the results were good though, and all the parking dents pulled out pretty well! Fingers crossed you find time to give it a shot

Re:Let us spray.. (rattle can fun!) 1 year 8 months ago #199776

Looks good - tell me more about this hot glue dent removal.

It’s the eBay dent pulling kit, essentially you get little plastic tags which you stick to the dent using hot glue, then a handle or pulled clips over them and you pull the dent out, they work very well for a lot of dents, although hard ones on thick areas or a swage line or corner don’t work so well as they don’t have the oomph, but trolley dents etc work really well!

Re:Let us spray.. (rattle can fun!) 1 year 8 months ago #199792

Can you link to the equipment you got to save me guessing which kit works and getting it wrong.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT