Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

F type 10 years 10 months ago #122901

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
In 1808, Humphry Davy identified the existence of a metal base of alum, which he at first termed alumium and later aluminum.

Two variants of the metal's name are in current use, aluminium and aluminum (besides the obsolete alumium). The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990 but, three years later, recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant. Hence their periodic table includes both.[59] IUPAC prefers the use of aluminium in its internal publications, although nearly as many IUPAC publications use the spelling aluminum.[60]

Most countries use the spelling aluminium. In the United States and Canada, the spelling aluminum predominates.[15][61] The Canadian Oxford Dictionary prefers aluminum, whereas the Australian Macquarie Dictionary prefers aluminium. In 1926, the American Chemical Society officially decided to use aluminum in its publications; American dictionaries typically label the spelling aluminium as a British variant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#History

There are probably many different accounts of which came first.

I might start using the word Alumium just to annoy everyone. ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by cjj.

F type 10 years 10 months ago #122902

It's very nice. However I'd be tempted to go to Maidsone Sports Cars for their TF at around a fifth of the price of the 'cheapest' F type.

Richard

That's like comparing a cake to an elephant

F type 10 years 9 months ago #122906

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
A tad off topic but my mate Den has just bought an immaculate 05 4.2 XK.
Not jealous.
Ba$tard.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

F type 10 years 9 months ago #122908

Makes me think what a shame it is that the Chinese owners of MG didn't follow the same course as the Indian owners of Jag and keep the manufacturing in the UK. :(

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT