Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

No life anywhere else...? 12 years 3 months ago #37881

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/steve-jones/9034807/Why-life-begins-and-ends-on-Earth.html

This has just popped up on my Facebook page promoted by a University...

Views?

"What infantile short sightedness, its almost religious in its sweeping disregard for what is possible. It happened once, that's enough to convince me that amongst the billions of stars out there it could have happened before, or again or right now. Thing is until we find a way of communication that breaks light speed we are destined to pass like ships in the night."

Was my reply.

(Apologies for it not being about cars, although every intelligent life would probably produce a mode of transport, and the awesome ones would then cut the roof off!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Luckymarine.

Re: No life anywhere else...? 12 years 3 months ago #37885

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Pure arrogance is my opinion ..

How we can ever assume that we are the only ones goes beyond the realms of stupidity, we will be our own undoing, and any other life form looking at us is probably very glad that they can pass us without interaction ..

Human beings are weapons of mass destruction...

History has proved this time and time again ..

Great link :broon:

Re: No life anywhere else...? 12 years 3 months ago #37886

Unless aliens arrive with a do all cure to stop HGF, I'm not that interested.

Maybe there's other life forms out there; maybe there isn't. Maybe there's a God out there; maybe there isn't.

In the words of Iris Dement Think I'll just let the mystery be' B)

Re: No life anywhere else...? 12 years 3 months ago #37887

We cant be alone in the Universe, the simple weight of numbers of planets ensures that. Even in our own galaxy the numbers are on the side of us having neigbours. One of the links on that page had this interpretation in it (the NASA tspe one).
If you want to do something about it you can download the SETI screensaver and go hunting for it.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Re: No life anywhere else...? 12 years 3 months ago #37888

• Visitor
  • Visitor

We cant be alone in the Universe, the simple weight of numbers of planets ensures that. Even in our own galaxy the numbers are on the side of us having neigbours. One of the links on that page had this interpretation in it (the NASA tspe one).
If you want to do something about it you can download the SETI screensaver and go hunting for it.

Clever clogs ;)

Maybe I should start one on Planet X, Nibiru, one of my favorite debating topics :whistle:

Re: No life anywhere else...? 12 years 3 months ago #37893

I checked that planet out. Even its believers do not claim it will support the development of sports cars so i wont be joining in.
However somewhere in the vastness of space there must be a planet where MG have just taken over SAIC after swallowing BL and British Aerospace.

Re SETI you can also download a program that searches for new prime numbers of a special sort
http://www.mersenne.org/ .

Re: No life anywhere else...? 12 years 3 months ago #37894

Just joined up to do this research thing, my computers on all day and I only ever use about 30% of its processing power makes sense to process info for the good of science, have joined up to a few projects, SETI, climate control, Milkey Way, and some Cosmos thingy.

Re: No life anywhere else...? 12 years 3 months ago #37895

• Visitor
  • Visitor

I checked that planet out. Even its believers do not claim it will support the development of sports cars .

It could be responsible for their extinction though :P

Re: No life anywhere else...? 12 years 3 months ago #37901

I checked that planet out. Even its believers do not claim it will support the development of sports cars .

It could be responsible for their extinction though :P

It will have to get in line behind OPEC, the Chancellor English weather and the insurance companies.
I suppose we can take some comfort that our indestructible stainless exhaust systems will continue in orbit.

Re: No life anywhere else...? 12 years 3 months ago #37908

I have been part of SETI at home for quite a while. :yesnod:

Also looking for radio pulsars with Einstein at home. :broon:

I find it very satisfying watching it working away through all that data.
David
:shrug:

Re: No life anywhere else...? 12 years 3 months ago #37909

Beam me up Scotty. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: No life anywhere else...? 12 years 3 months ago #37914

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/steve-jones/9034807/Why-life-begins-and-ends-on-Earth.html

This has just popped up on my Facebook page promoted by a University...

Views?

"What infantile short sightedness, its almost religious in its sweeping disregard for what is possible. It happened once, that's enough to convince me that amongst the billions of stars out there it could have happened before, or again or right now. Thing is until we find a way of communication that breaks light speed we are destined to pass like ships in the night."

Was my reply.

(Apologies for it not being about cars, although every intelligent life would probably produce a mode of transport, and the awesome ones would then cut the roof off!)

Some people would say we must be alone because nobody has replied to our signals. The fact is we've only had radio for the last 150 or so years and most galaxies are 1000's of light years away. So I wouldn't expect a rapid response!
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT