Topic

mgf suspension 3 years 2 weeks ago #195302

can anyone help with what is a legal conversion in australia

Please Log in to join the conversation.

mgf suspension 3 years 2 weeks ago #195303

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
You want to convert from Hydragas to a conventional set up?
There are a couple of options, There is the Suplex system from the UK (has a pretty crap reputation, serarch Suplex here on the forum and I doubt you'll find a kind word!)
And there is the Aussie system made by the MG Centre of Sydney ( I haven't heard any complaints, only good stuff)

As to legality here in Australia, that would depend on which state you're in, as they vary in their officishness, but if you were to ask Vic Roads you will get the standard answer for something they don't know the answer for and can't be arsed finding out from the cluless idiot on the phone / behind the counter, and that will be that you'll require an engineers certificate (at great hideous cost to you)
Now as there would be only a handfull of people at Vic Roads would know what a MGF is, and even less would know how they work, (The authorities in NSW would be similar and the other states would be even more ignorant) what you don't tell them won't worry them.....your call!
The same goes for the theiving scum insurance companies.......yet again your call.
You should check with the MG Centre of Sydney, they may suffuicent compliance paper work to keep your state registration authority happy (from what I hear the WA dept of transport are, particulary ignorant, never happy and nearly impossible to please, much the same goes for SA)

Mike Satur has developed a coilover set up, it looks choice! but I haven't heard any pros or cons, and the same issues as above would apply.
I believe he also came up with some shraeder valve inserts to regas the original spheres, he did weld in and non weld in versions..... with these you would face no legal issues and would keep the car original. You would still have to pump up the Hydragas fluid from time to time and now the nitrogen gas too.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Bob, Bavs 64

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

mgf suspension 3 years 2 weeks ago #195304

Hi and welcome to the forum

Which part of Austrailia are you in?

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

mgf suspension 3 years 2 weeks ago #195305

:welcome2: 
David
:shrug:

mgf suspension 3 years 1 week ago #195309

There was somebody in Australia who posted a few days ago who has coil spring suspension fitted in an MGF.  You could try contacting them for more advice.

https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/3-welcome-introductions-please/97361-hello#195289

mgf suspension 3 years 1 week ago #195315

Not sure on the legality of it, but I fitted one of the suspension kits from the Sydney MG Centre about 6 or so years ago. Took about a day to do, the worst ones being the rear due to the engine. I did it mostly because my hydragas system appeared to be losing height and had been quoted stupid prices to source second hand replacement spheres as apparently they were no longer made. Seeing this would only get worse I decided to replace it.

I havent had any issues with it other than bumping up the dampener - they only recommended two clicks from the softest setting but I found this bounced around way too much so I have bumped it up considerably. It might only be a couple of clicks from the opposite end for all I know. Have not found any stress fractures in any structural components (something that has been mentioned on other threads). 
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

mgf suspension 3 years 1 week ago #195318

I too have no clue about Australian legality, but I can highly recommend Mike Satur's FCCKit, which I have installed in both of our F's.
Mark
95 MGF

mgf suspension 3 years 1 week ago #195335

Hi and welcome to the forum

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

mgf suspension 3 years 6 days ago #195371

Welcome

I have fitted the Mike Satur system to my MGF in Airlie Beach, it has made a world of difference.  When I bought the car, it had the Sydney version of Coil Over fitted, however the rear turret cracked as the suspension is anchored to the body work, rather than the subframe.
I contacted Mike Satur, who pointed me in the right direction, provided the complete kit, and it was quite an easy conversion. Took about a day. I have advised my insurance comany, they were fine as it is a well proven solution.  Not sure about the registration authorities, the less said to them the better.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT