Sign In   Register

Topic

Fit Alloy Instrument Dial Rings 11 years 1 week ago #116098

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
How many BHP do they add?
As much as a Magic Tree?

More?

I thought I was leading you along the Path of Purity of Form ,
My Son..... :P

If you're going to fit blingy non-functional crap stuff, try and get it the right road round at least. :yesnod:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Fit Alloy Instrument Dial Rings 10 years 4 months ago #136188

I've just done this mod but forgot I'd read this thread a month plus back.. I tried prising the instrument cover off and cracked it a little. I don't think it will be an issue. The issue I do have is the temp needle fell out, and I'm buggered if I can get it to seat properly in the little white nipple that it sits in. My eyes can't see if the shaft on the needle and the nipple in the instrument have a flat which needs to match up to allow the needle to push in and seat correctly..
Any suggestions are very welcome as I'm hoping I haven't mucked my temp gauge up. I'm sure I didn't touch it.
Merry Christmas everyone.
Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re:Fit Alloy Instrument Dial Rings 10 years 4 months ago #136196

From memory there is no notch to align, but the original needles were very tightly stuck on the rotating pin and I snapped one trying to fit my illuminated needles. The original pin is dark grey(normal bare metal colour), so it's possible you have a bodged pin if it's white.

When I fitted the illuminated ones the needles wouldn't stay put on the pins and I had to use a little glue on the shaft of the temp and fuel gauge to get them to seat. It was a question of getting the car up to temp and pushing the temp. needle on in the right position.
Same with the fuel, fill the tank and then fit the needle at Full.
David
:shrug:

Re:Fit Alloy Instrument Dial Rings 10 years 4 months ago #136197

edit just re read your post and I know what you mean now there is a little white bump on the gauge with the locating hole for the pin. There is no notch but they are damn tight. Also check that the pin hasn't snapped, leaving part in the hole.
David

Re:Fit Alloy Instrument Dial Rings 10 years 4 months ago #136229

Thanks David. Maybe some Super Glue might be the fix for this. The needle has approx 3 to 4 mm of shaft attached, but when I insert it into the little white nib, the temp needle sits very sloppy and isn't firm in its mount at all.
Can the temp gauge instrument be easily swapped over in the cluster?
Merry Christmas fellas.

Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re:Fit Alloy Instrument Dial Rings 10 years 4 months ago #136237

Yep two screws through the back, one or two screws(can't remember which) throught the clear plastic backing behind the face. The face is glued to the plastic backing.
David

Fit Alloy Instrument Dial Rings 10 years 4 months ago #136252

Thanks David, good on you!
Now just to find a donor instrument cluster. I've emailed a seller on UK EBay to see if he will send a complete late model MGTF instrument cluster to me in Australia. I can relace the minor crack in the perspex as well while I'm at it. :bang:
Merry Christmas all.

Ken
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Fit Alloy Instrument Dial Rings 10 years 4 months ago #136257

Check out this how to for photos.
There are actually three screws through the back and two on the front.
The small gauges are the same on mk1 and mk2/TF instrument packs, but the outer clear plastic cover is unique on each type of pack.
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT