Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Re: Curing a sloppy gear change + Shorty Gear lever 11 years 10 months ago #54486

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
It may well help. What does your gear lever feel like in neutral? If you have excessive movement this How To will definitely help.

Other things to consider are gearbox oil level and the hydraulic clutch.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Curing a sloppy gear change + Shorty Gear lever 11 years 10 months ago #54492

This I always did on the Yamaha Thunderace [1002cc] easy in first when in 2nd give it it's head, saved many a time sat on me bum with the bike on top of me, old habits die hard, 5th to 4th is my current thinking and delaying point.
I haven’t lost my marbles they are in a bag somewhere

Re: Curing a sloppy gear change + Shorty Gear lever 9 years 10 months ago #144313

Thanks PQD44, Will try and attempt this one at the weekend.

Curing a sloppy gear change + Shorty Gear lever 8 years 2 months ago #164775

Hi

Many thanks for taking the time and showing us how to.

Im going to try this over the weekend. My problem is that ive lost secound gear all the rest are fine. Its goes in secound when the engine is off or the are no revs . I can pull away in secound no problem but when i go from first to secound it just wont go same with 3 down to secound there is no hope.

Do you think this guide with help fix or do you know what else the problem could be.

Thanks again im really stuck

Curing a sloppy gear change + Shorty Gear lever 8 years 2 months ago #164776

Before you start to pull of any trim, raise the back of the car and check the security and condition of the bell crank (where the gear cables transmit the movement into the gearbox) The ball joints are riveted to the bell crank and can come loose, also check the roll pin which locates the bell crank onto the selector shaft (under the spring clip)

Brian.

Curing a sloppy gear change + Shorty Gear lever 8 years 2 months ago #164777

Hi

Many thanks for taking the time and showing us how to.

Im going to try this over the weekend. My problem is that ive lost secound gear all the rest are fine. Its goes in secound when the engine is off or the are no revs . I can pull away in secound no problem but when i go from first to secound it just wont go same with 3 down to secound there is no hope.

Do you think this guide with help fix or do you know what else the problem could be.

Thanks again im really stuck

:welcome2:

If you raise and secure the rear of the car. Get someone to put it into and out of second gear. You'll see which cable is operating the bell crank to engage second gear. You'll probably find that by pushing the mechanism further in, the gear will engage more firmly.

If so, you can alter the length of the cable by separating the ball joint and screwing the cup further onto the cable end shortening the cable.(there is a lock nut that needs to be undone on the cable end). try one complete turn at a time and re-fix the the cap on the ball. Try the gear change again.

When you are happy that all gears will now engage properly re-tighten the lock nut.

Another issue can be the ball joint itself becoming worn and loose. In some cases the rubber in the cup section deteriorates. In this case replacement is the only answer.
I would recommend replacing the bell crank with the Mile Satur bell crank.Available on his website. This gives a much improved gear change. .
David
:shrug:

Curing a sloppy gear change + Shorty Gear lever 8 years 2 months ago #164778

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT