Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF rear hydragas unit needed in USA 2 years 8 months ago #196588

Does anyone have any usable MGF rear hydragas spheres for sale and would be willing to post to the USA? Have one here that is leaking fluid. Understand that Metro front may be the same? I do have the tool to charge/discharge the system.

Just need to get car raised enough to be moveable. Long term will probably go with Mike Satur retrofit kit or refurbished spheres.

Thanks, Brad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF rear hydragas unit needed in USA 2 years 8 months ago #196590

Hi Brad

For the hassle and expense involved I would consider getting some refurbished spheres from the get go, and the ones with added nitrogen valves are the most future prove ones.

Metro spheres do fit but are softer than the MGF ones, metro owners beef up their suspension by fitting MGF spheres.

The Mike Satur kit, and alternatives completely change the way the car drives so it is no longer a MGF, more like a MX5 which was basically a MGB but that's another story.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: verofan

MGF rear hydragas unit needed in USA 2 years 8 months ago #196596

Hi James,

Yes, I see your point about the refurbished units. However, Rimmer seem to be out of stock right now. There is also the issue of cores which may simply not be worth shipping back to the UK, at least not in small quantities. Unfortunately USPS discontinued surface mail some years ago.

Thus, I am looking for a stop gap solution.

MGF rear hydragas unit needed in USA 2 years 8 months ago #196597

Rears are always the first to go, my guess is that they carry a little more weight and as they are in the engine bay they're exposed to more heat.
So rears are always in more demand and harder to find.
As far as I can only see the difference between front and rear units is the alloy socket at the bottom. They are different lengths.
this can be swapped over, the trick (to do this the unit must be removed from the car) is to apply air pressure to the fluid port, fully expanding the lower diaphragm the cone shaped alloy socket can now be removed (it just sort of tucks into a lip in the diaphragm) and the replacement tucked in.
So if you can get your hands on a front unit, you could "convert" it into a rear unit.

I understand that the Trophy models used the same part # units front and rear, these are almost impossible to get now. For those with a MGF Trophy they could perhaps, fit the cone shaped sockets from the Trophy units to the standard model front units.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

MGF rear hydragas unit needed in USA 2 years 8 months ago #196603

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re:MGF rear hydragas unit needed in USA 2 years 8 months ago #196638

https://www.hydragasandhydrolasticservice.com/hydragas-service/

These guys replaced mine, they will post anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT