Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Rear Spheres 7 years 5 months ago #173405

I Know, I Know.........Rocking horse poop and all that, but.........
I am looking for a pair of new rear spheres for an MGF.
I bought a pair of new fronts a few years ago and at the time couldn't bear to shell out
for new rears to go along with them. Now of course, one of my rear spheres is shot :slapme: and the bloody
car rides like a buckboard so I am on the hunt for replacements.
As I have to ship them halfway across the world I would prefer to pay the extra for new ones rather than find
I have bought faulty used.
So, if you have a pair squirreled away that you don't think you will need let me know your price.
Willing to pay an arm, and maybe part of a leg for a pair.
I know how hard these will be to come by so if you happen to have a good used pair (hopefully not all rusty and scabby)
let me know about those as well.
It's time to start my winter projects!

Thanks! Rich

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Rear Spheres 7 years 5 months ago #173417

We love MGFs were advertising a full all be it used set on eBay but they look fairly new £185 for four, maybe they have some decent rears, The MGF Centre in Wolverhampton had some new ones once not sure about now, may be worth a try, hope that helps.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Re:Rear Spheres 7 years 5 months ago #173419

Rich - if you need a UK address I should be able to help.
(and then I could stick in the bits that I have for you if you still want them).

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re:Rear Spheres 7 years 5 months ago #173420

Re:Rear Spheres 7 years 5 months ago #173422

Thanks for the leads. The Ebay sphere shown from Germany is more or less the condition i'm after if I can't find new ones. I'll have a go at e-mailing some of the big sellers about some new spheres. I got my fronts from E-carparts but they sold out of rears long ago.

James, send me a PM with a price with postage for those small parts and I will do a Paypal. Sorry I didn't get back in touch sooner.

Re:Rear Spheres 7 years 5 months ago #173423

As far as I can tell the only difference between front & rear spheres is the conical shaped alloy bit at the bottom.
This can be swapped over.
To remove it I apply compressed air to the lower fluid chamber, fully inflating the diaphragm, then get a good grip of the alloy piece and pull it off using a twisting motion.
There is a rubber lip that externally grips around a lip on the top of the alloy piece.
To replace, With a twisting motion, I push the alloy piece into the rubber lip whist the lower diaphragm is still inflated.

For Trophy models the front and rear spheres share the same part number, which is different from the standard cars.
I don't know what other differences there are there are between Trophy spheres and standard ones but if there is no other difference between other than the alloy bit on the bottom, then perhaps using the above technique could be used to convert standard spheres to the trophy type.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Re:Rear Spheres 7 years 5 months ago #173481

Thanks for that Cobber. :broon:
I think I will pull off one of the rear spheres and try swapping the cone with one of my new fronts.
The worst that can happen is I will have to buy some used ones if it doesn't work out.
If it does work I'll hunt down a couple more new fronts.
Nothing ventured and all that!

Re:Rear Spheres 7 years 5 months ago #173484

I apply @ 150 psi of air pressure.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Re:Rear Spheres 7 years 5 months ago #173517

Beans for breakfast should do the trick then. :woo2:

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.829 seconds