Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Can anyone save a poor little dark blue Mk1 MG F? 10 years 8 months ago #127925

Near where I live in Milnsbridge, Huddersfield, there is a blue Mk1 MG F, which the owner wants £500 for. However there are a few things you should know.

It needs a new rear window as the current owner damaged it, but rather than getting it repaired the interior was left to the elements, only recently being covered over. As a result the rear shelf cover would have got extremely wet and will need replacing, most likely along with the rear engine cover.

I doubt it has been serviced properly and not sure on the status of the MOT, personally I think with some moderate bartering, it could be someones for around £300 to £400.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll get you some more details.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Can anyone save a poor little dark blue Mk1 MG F? 10 years 8 months ago #127926

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Sounds like it has been abused. If the owner couldn't even be bothered to protect the interior after damaging the screen it doesn't bode well. :nonod:

Replacing the rear screen and parcel shelf carpet is no big deal, about £100 would cover that. If it's been left open to the elements so long that the engine cover needs replacing I would be worried that water had got under the T-bar and run down to the floor pan behind the seats. So there could be corrosion, mold on the carpets, in the underlay, mold spots inside the hood .... :dry:

Impossible to put a price on it without a lot more details

MOT?
Mileage?
Tax?
Service history?
Condition of engine, lack of care for the car means those coolant levels may not have been checked regularly?
Coolant and oil, any contamination?
How long has the car been laid up, the longer it's been standing the more I would worry, the F is a car that doesn't do well sitting idle outside for long periods.
Condition of bodywork (dents, rust), in particular the sills near the rear arches (MOT failure if corroded), headlights (milky?), tyres, exhaust, underside, etc.

At this time of year there are lots of people selling F's and TF's which have been cared for and plenty of F's can be had for around the £500 - £750 mark in very good order.

Don't get too sentimental about an old F. Many people seriously underestimate the cost, time and effort needed to bringing a shed back up to decent condition and too many owners seriously over estimate the sale asking price of these cars.

Apologies for the long reply, it looks quite depressing reading it back now :lol:

Thanks for letting us know about it, could be well worth a look if you're local.

Last edit: Post by PQD44. Reason: clarity

Re:Can anyone save a poor little dark blue Mk1 MG F? 10 years 8 months ago #127933

I think he just wanted a cheap convertible over the summer to be honest.

If you were to look at it without knowing the history the outside looks pretty good, but I've passed this car almost every day for nearly 12 months.

It has been driven though I'm not sure about MOT and tax.

I'd have bought it myself 12 months or so ago but don't have anywhere to put it without losing the TF

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT