Sign In   Register

Topic

Spoiler group buy M99 10 years 10 months ago #120961

SO got the splitter open and every thing looks good but ......
would it be a Idea to thicken it up with some more fiberglass as it seems a bit flimsy (rough on the underside) to me would it not flex when going at speed? or is this what they are like what you guys think?
also what's everyone using to fix them to the bumpers with???

If you look at closer at the six holes you will see they hide a captive nut. Not sure what size they are but look about 5mm.in dia. Just offer the splitter up to the bumper keeping it central and to the position you require, drill six holes in your bumper that correspond to the holes on the splitter and then screw bolts from inside the bumper into the splitter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: paulsmgf

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Paulontour.

Spoiler group buy M99 10 years 10 months ago #121068

My Boomerang arrived a few days ago and ive found some bolts to fit the captive nuts just to fit it up before painting. Might have a little go at fitting tomorrow. :-)

Spoiler group buy M99 10 years 10 months ago #121134

Evening all,

I had a little play with the splitter today and clamped it into position. Its now i realise im not really sure how these should be positioned. The ridge on the underside of the front bumper is pretty much as far "back" as you can push the spoiler but then the holes that are pre-drilled at the back of the spoiler are very close to not being in a position to attach to the bumper.

Push the spoiler forward as far as you can so the holes line up with the bumper before the curve of the bumper means it looks weird and it tilts upwards at the front at a jaunty angle (about 3/4" between the furthest back / furthest forward position).

Anyone else found the best position to fit this/ got any pictures :-)

Attached some photos to show how it looked... it might not be 100% straight as i was just trying it up for size/ locating the fixing holes. ;-)

Martin

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re:Spoiler group buy M99 10 years 10 months ago #121137

I would try moving the splitter back until the ends line up with the wheel arch. That position looks pretty good on David Aiketgate's MGF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ain't it funny, how time slips away...?

Re:Spoiler group buy M99 10 years 10 months ago #121140

I would try moving the splitter back until the ends line up with the wheel arch. That position looks pretty good on David Aiketgate's MGF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes I agree. If the holes with the captive nut won't line up on the bumper I would pop some new holes and fix with new nut,bolt washers. I think you will always find slight differences with aftermarket parts that might need tweaking.

Last edit: Post by Paulontour.

Re:Spoiler group buy M99 10 years 10 months ago #121151

With my splitter I couldn't get it as far back as I liked so mounted it slightly in front of the wheel arches. I had the upturn issue as well, so cut away some of the central mounting post, this wasn't enough so I put a spacer in on the front post mounting hole to push the splitter down and make it parallel to the ground. This is not ideal but I didn't want to cut into the bumper and eventually will make a moulding to cover the spacer when I decide to spray it a different colour from Rubberised matt black( you cannot see the spacer unless you lie on the ground).
Regarding fixings I thought what was packed was pathetic considering the loadings, so used 6 SS bolts with 1" washers and Nyloc nuts on the inside. They are a pain to remove quickly but will not rattle loose and there is no danger of the splitter ripping free or vibrating itself loose.

Attachment photo1.JPG not found

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paulontour, Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by Tourbillon.

Re:Spoiler group buy M99 10 years 10 months ago #121165

As Dave says I fitted the splitter as far back as I could to reduce the chance of ripping it off on a kerb. So back to here.

If I recall correctly it needed a bit removed from the rear trailing edge of the bumper where the cenre column of the splitter is.
David
:shrug:
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Spoiler group buy M99 10 years 10 months ago #121196

All arrived next morning with no problems so cheers for sorting this
Keith

Spoiler group buy M99 10 years 10 months ago #121202

Glad you all seem to have got your parts and are getting on with the fitting unlike me :(

after a bit of an altercation with a wall late last night :bat: :bang: :bang:
Attachments:

Spoiler group buy M99 10 years 10 months ago #121204

Argh! Poo. :(
David
:shrug:

Re:Spoiler group buy M99 10 years 9 months ago #121975

Top tips chaps, thanks, I will have a little play when i get some time! Thanks for sorting the group buy Paul.

Re:Spoiler group buy M99 10 years 9 months ago #121978

Top tips chaps, thanks, I will have a little play when i get some time! Thanks for sorting the group buy Paul.

You are more than welcome :)

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT