Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Does anyone want to save an early MGF? 12 years 5 months ago #31881

This 1995 VVC F is owned by a relative in Scotland. It's registered N16VVC and the plate goes with the car. It is on SORN now after a local cowboy made a mess of changing the head gasket. I dont think it even needed doing. No one wants to see it go on Ebay and finish up broken by a trader, it was a really nice example before he let the clown loose on it. There's nothing in this for me, i will just put any seriuos enquiries in contact, well there is, if someone else saves the car I dont have to. Any offers please remember the plate has some value, it would be about £200 from a trader.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by PQD44. Reason: Insert images to post

Re: Does anyone want to save an early MGF? 12 years 5 months ago #31882

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Let's hope we can find it a new home.

Where in Scotland is it?
Is it drivable? what has the cowboy actually done?

I wouldn't mind a bit of a project over the winter, just distance may be prohibitive for me if it needs transporting a long way.

What is the VIN number of the car we may be able to find out just how early in production this one was

See this thread

Or if you prefer send a pm to me and I'll see what we can find out.

Re: Does anyone want to save an early MGF? 12 years 5 months ago #31883

Thanks for the kind words. I wouldnt join a forum just to sell a car ,this is different. If I spend what i would need to to save it i want to know I gave anyone else who might fancy a project a shot first.
The car is in Dunfermlin. It went in for some brake problems and then the cowboy said it had HGF. IHe couldnt get it back together and running right but we rhink he eventually got it out of the workshop by filling it with sealant. It now shows low oil pressure and you cant get oil in through the normal "dipstick" filler. They have not taken the engine cover off to try the proper cap on the cam covers though. It still has some brake issues and no MoT so its a recovery job. I'm in the south and would have to get a good engine and have it fitted locally plus the brakes done and thats an expensive pain, but if no one closer saves it i will as its a nice early car. Its got the factory mesh windstop as well.
I will see if i can get the VIN and post it. Here is that number plate.

If I did get it fixed i would have it done for track fays gas flowed head K_N f52i straight though etc etc as we already have the 115 and the MGB for road events.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: Does anyone want to save an early MGF? 12 years 5 months ago #31885

Ahh sealant, the go-to of every mechanic trained "on the streets". I always got taught if you have to use sealant where a gasket is ment to be you're doing it wrong.

Low oil pressure could be a few things but coupled with what he thought was HGF I think the piston rings might need replacing, that is if the liners are all level, if he used sealant because one or more of the liners slipped then its new engine job.

Being in Carlisle its not a million miles away. How much is he asking for a 1996 (according to DVLA) MGF?
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Aw: Re: Does anyone want to save an early MGF? 12 years 5 months ago #31886

Sounds for me like VIN AD007262. May 9th, 1996
Worth to save !! :yesnod:
Dieter K.
MGF Rep. MGCC DE
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, PQD44, Leigh Ping

Re: Does anyone want to save an early MGF? 12 years 5 months ago #31897

Sad thing is, MGFs are going for peanuts so to buy this and do the work on it, the low selling price anyone is likely to get would possibly less than the cost to fix it properly. Its probably more attractive to someone who wants it to keep.

Its slightly tempting considering its close by to me (about 30 miles away) B)

How much are you looking for?
MG TF LE500 27 of 500
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, PQD44, Dieter

Re: Does anyone want to save an early MGF? 12 years 5 months ago #31904

Thanks for the kind words. I wouldnt join a forum just to sell a car ,this is different. If I spend what i would need to to save it i want to know I gave anyone else who might fancy a project a shot first.
The car is in Dunfermlin. It went in for some brake problems and then the cowboy said it had HGF. IHe couldnt get it back together and running right but we rhink he eventually got it out of the workshop by filling it with sealant. It now shows low oil pressure and you cant get oil in through the normal "dipstick" filler. They have not taken the engine cover off to try the proper cap on the cam covers though. It still has some brake issues and no MoT so its a recovery job. I'm in the south and would have to get a good engine and have it fitted locally plus the brakes done and thats an expensive pain, but if no one closer saves it i will as its a nice early car. Its got the factory mesh windstop as well.
I will see if i can get the VIN and post it. Here is that number plate.

If I did get it fixed i would have it done for track fays gas flowed head K_N f52i straight though etc etc as we already have the 115 and the MGB for road events.

Would be interesting to have the VIN :shrug: It is a 1996 build not 95, if the Vin that Dieter has posted is correct?? the registration number shows up that it was first registered on 9th May 1996 as a 1996 built car, in Coventry (VC) which is the office where the MG Rover cars were registered. :yesnod:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dieter

Re: Does anyone want to save an early MGF? 12 years 5 months ago #31907

I will PM Brians e-mail to you guys, I do hope one of can work it out with him and recover and save the car. I know it and it's a nice one. I'm not selling,it, I wouldnt . I would like to own it and rebuild as 180 bhp track car. There is no way you would make money on that, the exhaust sytem would exceed it's market value. :(
The cars we save now (like I saved my Le Mans Green one NV ) and keep will be those that live on as classics. When more have gone to that greatcar park in the sky than there is a demand for maybe we will lose less money on them B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Re: Does anyone want to save an early MGF? 12 years 3 months ago #38552

Hi, just to let you know this car is now on Ebay with a full update and pictures. So I'm bumping this thread.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320839179220

The owner has bought what is a poor substutute ragtop IMHO while this was dragging on and that will be going in the (rebuilt :ohmy:) Garage otherwise he would keep it.
If I get it signed off by management I may put in an offer myself although it's a long way to go to collect it.

Last edit: Post by Stan_B. Reason: changed link
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT