Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hello from Dorset 11 months 2 weeks ago #202303

I am a new member of this forum.
My car is a 2008 LE500 which my son gave to me after it had been off the road for about 5 years.
This became a project that I almost wished that I had not started.
The starting point was to replace an ABS ring which was the original MOT failure point, but the project rapidly grew to completely rebuilding the front and rear subframe assemblies, suspension, etc.
Both subframes were just about salvageable, so I got them both galvanized and powder coated.
Treated the body and all cavities with lots of paint and Waxoyle.
New wheel bearings and any other suspect bushes.
Added some polybushes.
Replaced the engine belts and clutch with an improved release arm (with the added grease nipple).
Replaced almost all the air conditioning system except for the compressor and evaporator.
Fortunately the body was generally rust free, and the engine/transmission is OK (which it should be with only 19000 miles on the clock).
However, the rest of the car was terrible. It seems like it had been built outside in the rain with some added salt water so every fastener and bracket was rusted to death. Without my pneumatic impact driver it would have been impossible to dismantle the car.

Anyway, after almost 2 years effort, the car passed an MOT test first time with only the headlight aim needing to be adjusted and it now drives much better than I remember 5 years ago. So I now have a nice little TF for the summer next to my ZTT. Plus it now has a good chance of surviving for a few more years.

Maybe my next project will be to convert it to an EV.

Bill Coleman
The following user(s) said Thank You: mnripley

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hello from Dorset 11 months 2 weeks ago #202305

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

Hello from Dorset 11 months 2 weeks ago #202309

Well done for rescuing another good TF. They do have their challenges but are certainly rewarding to drive.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Hello from Dorset 11 months 2 weeks ago #202316

Bill, welcome to the forum, most come with tales of woe! You are the exception to the rule. Its great to have another experienced engineer amongst us!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable, billcoleman

Last edit: Post by TaffD.

Hello from Dorset 11 months 2 weeks ago #202318

Hi and welcome to the forum

You have been busy and well done on the pass.

This is the right forum to talk about EV conversions, there are several on here.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billcoleman

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT