Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Finally a MG owner. 8 months 2 weeks ago #203714

How are you finding ownership now. Have you changed anything aside from the heater controls ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Finally a MG owner. 8 months 2 weeks ago #203715

I'm really enjoying the MG, it is fun to drive. I've done just over 3000 miles in it, a trip to the west coast of Ireland and a trip to the Isle of Man as well as lots of local stuff.
I've changed nothing apart from the heater controls but I might fit stronger brakes next year if a change of brake fluid doesn't sharpen them up.
A few things have occurred, the reat view mirror fell off on the way back from Ireland, (I think its mended but we will see), the boot leaked in the rain so I've got a new seal on order, the indicators went bananas from the rain getting in to them from the faulty seal and I have a little oil weep from somewhere around the top of the engine, nothing serious though.
I think I'll keep her for a bit, too much fun to sell!

Finally a MG owner. 8 months 2 weeks ago #203757

Thats a serious amount of usage and a decent bit of sightseeing. Did you take any pictures of the car by the Cliffs of Moher ? A fantastic part of the world.

The standard single pot calipers and 240mm disks arent bad if kept in good order. See how you feel after replacing the brake fluid and discuss the options before you spend any money. You have probably read that some owners fit a reinforcing bracket for the brake servo. It takes the flex out of the bulkhead when pushing the pedal hard, more of a brake feel than a brake efficiency thing but it's a popular improvement.

When I first got my Sunstorm it's 4 pot AP brakes and larger discs didnt feel anywhere near as good as the basic single pot standard brakes on my 115. They were enough to get through an MOT but didnt inspire confidence. I soon saw why though as the pads were very worn and were not contacting the discs evenly. New discs and pads plus a caliper rebuild with new seals, wear plates and pins should make the difference.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woldsman

Finally a MG owner. 8 months 2 weeks ago #203764

No pictures near cliffs for me, I'm not to keen on drops! I do have a picture from the furthest west that we went
Yes, that is the Atlantic! Being a little unorganised I didn't record exactly where it was but somewhere near Belmullet, County Mayo.
Thanks for the advice about brakes, they did improve with use but I agree, some new pads and a caliper overhaul would be a good idea along with new fluid.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notanumber

Finally a MG owner. 8 months 2 weeks ago #203765

It’s a long time since we were so far out west, it challenged our foul weather gear to within microns of it limits & it’s good tackle.

Finally a MG owner. 8 months 2 weeks ago #203766

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis

No pictures near cliffs for me, I'm not to keen on drops! I do have a picture from the furthest west that we went
Yes, that is the Atlantic! Being a little unorganised I didn't record exactly where it was but somewhere near Belmullet, County Mayo.
Thanks for the advice about brakes, they did improve with use but I agree, some new pads and a caliper overhaul would be a good idea along with new fluid.

Can't be Eire.
Sky is blue, no rain.
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Finally a MG owner. 8 months 2 weeks ago #203773

Amazingly we only had a few showers, literally 20 miles with the top up, it's the driest we've ever been in Ireland and we go once or twice every year to see relatives! The Isle of Man on the other hand was wet, not every day but wet!

Finally a MG owner. 8 months 2 weeks ago #203777

Morning, Feel free to give me a shout if you ever need a hand, A Sussex man living not far from Galway.

I've most of the tools an MG F will need.

If your ever in Kerry the Healy pass is a great drive on a rare dry day.

Mat

Last edit: Post by stubbs_gt.

Finally a MG owner. 8 months 1 week ago #203846

Thanks Mat, our next trip in the MG should be next year, probably the southern section of the Wild Atlantic Way. Hopefully your offer of tools won't be needed but I really appreciate the offer.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT