Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hi there - MGTF query 2 years 2 months ago #198526

Evening everyone - although a newbie on here I am an ex -MGF owner form a few years ago and could be in the market for a TF. I may be viewing an 05 plate, 1.6, 70k at the weekend so a few questions (and I know the difference between the two models generally):

1. A couple of reviews have said that parts for the 1.6 are quite scarce. From others experience is this true as I'd have thought most components are commonly shared between the 1.6 and 1.8?
2. I installed a B&G coolant sensor on the MGF but am I right in thinking that on the final models a coolant sensor had become integral?
3. On the later models were underneath coolant pipe corrosion still an issue or were they changed?
4. Anything else I need to know about the 1.6?

I'm hoping the garage will be able to get it ramped up so I can have a good look underneath but at £1.6k it could be worth a punt although silver isn't the strongest of colours but it's a matter of taste ;) Having said that I could vinyl wrap the hard top B)

Thanks for any pointers in advance :broon:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Gman1.

Hi there - MGTF query 2 years 2 months ago #198531

Hi,
I own an '04 TF in Starlight Silver, so far, I've been able to obtain spares (Brake disc/pads, Anti skid sensors, among other bits like various bits of hardware) from the likes of MGOC, Rimmer Bros, Brown and Gammons, even paint from Halfords. So, having browsed these websites, I've seen a lot of spares available. Hope this helps.

Hi there - MGTF query 2 years 2 months ago #198533

Thanks for the response so that's reassuring re parts. I must admit I was surprised with the review as I generally thought MGRover was generally well catered for for parts.

Is yours a 1.6 as well?

Hi there - MGTF query 2 years 2 months ago #198539

There aren't many unobtainable parts for the TF 1.8 MPI; I doubt the 1.6 is any different. Apart from those mentioned above, there are MGFnTFBITZ, DMGRS, MG Obsession and others. You will find them all with your favourite search engine.

Hi there - MGTF query 2 years 2 months ago #198541

Yes. Bought it cheap, as a hobby/project, and to supplement the 'fleet' that my sons were using!

Hi there - MGTF query 2 years 2 months ago #198542

2. I installed a B&G coolant sensor on the MGF but am I right in thinking that on the final models a coolant sensor had become integral?
3. On the later models were underneath coolant pipe corrosion still an issue or were they changed?

I believe that the wiring is there (to the right of the expansion bottle) in the later (2005 onward) cars. Also, the later cars might have the expansion bottle with the float incorporated. But don't assume that it is all connected up. If you feel under the expansion bottle, if the sensor is in place, you should be able to feel the wires connected to the bottom of the sensor. An acquaintance had the wiring in place but no float sensor. He bought one and plugged it in but there was no warning device to be found.

My 2004 TF 135 did not have stainless coolant pipes. They had been replaced by the time I bought it at 105,000 miles.

Hi there - MGTF query 2 years 1 month ago #198550

The 1.6 is mostly the same as the 1.8 except slight differences on the engine and the omission of central locking or electrically adjustable door mirrors. Also the door cards are from a mk1 F so are missing the tweeters - every thing can be changed for TF 1.8 spec.

Most parts for the MGF/TF are still available.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Hi there - MGTF query 2 years 1 month ago #198552

I've got a December '04 1.6 TF and have had no problems getting parts. The coolant low level alarm was fitted as standard to mine, but be aware the company was struggling at the time so were reducing the ancillaries to save costs, e.g. a single horn, no central locking, omitting the plastic flaps on the grille above the engine, no speakers in the T bar etc. They can all be fitted as the wiring loom wasn't changed and are all readily available new or second hand - I fitted Central remote locking for £28 including postage for second hand door motors. The only thing to be wary of is any non functioning things like electric windows, horn etc which are probably down to failed relays in the ECU which will cost around £100 to have replaced. If having the relays replaced ask them to activate the remote central locking in the ECU as you will need this if you want to retrofit remote central locking.

Hi there - MGTF query 2 years 1 month ago #198558

......The only thing to be wary of is any non functioning things like electric windows, horn etc which are probably down to failed relays in the ECU which will cost around £100 to have replaced. If having the relays replaced ask them to activate the remote central locking in the ECU as you will need this if you want to retrofit remote central locking.

Them is www.technozen-electronics.co.uk

Hi there - MGTF query 2 years 1 month ago #198559

A single horn and omitting the plastic flaps on the grille above the engine were part of "project drive" as was the central wiring loom with all options included.

No speakers in the T bar and no tweeters in the door cards. no central locking and no electrically controlled mirrors was only on the 1.6 and was to create an entry level model below the 1.8i 135.

Hi there - MGTF query 2 years 1 month ago #198602

Thanks everyone for your input. So I've ended up buying a 1.8 52 plate blind on ebay! Black (not the best imo but hey), 75k, only failed an MOT once, minimal advisories. The seller sent further pics of sills and arches and all look fine. Best bit is he failed to mention in the advert that he'd fitted the coolant alarm, ss coolant pipes and the hardtop!! All for a grand total of £1.3k and collect next week. I'll need to get a full service for peace of mind but hopefully bagged myself a good deal B)

Last edit: Post by Gman1.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT