Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Introduction 11 years 9 months ago #60690

I have owned and restored quite a few classics but this MGF is my favourite of all time although I know its not really a classic per se.
However I treat as such and only use it on nice days. I drive my eco-box for normal motoring.
My last classic was a Triumph Herald which I bought after a three hour train journey. It looked pretty good and had lots of potential but needed a fair amount of work. So I bought it and started heading back up the road. You know how you feel when you have just bought an old car, but after a while I started to relax as my confidence grew that it would not break down. It was thrumming along the motorway at 60, yes 60 when all of a sudden there was an almighty bang and the horrible sound of grinding metal. "What the......."
Fortunately not too far from the services I pulled in and got myself underneath to view the awful truth. Not as bad as I thought. The gearbox mountings had collapsed and the prop shaft was grinding on the chassis. A piece of wood wedged under the gearbox cleared the propshaft and the noise. So now in for a strong cup of tea.
Great little car but time for a change. So I went and had a look at an MGF. It was a dark colour a bit dirty and had 85k on the clock..
The dealer offered to take my Herald as a straight swop but that didn't sound a great deal to me. Determined to get one I poured through the internet and looked at a few but none really looked the part or was at a reasonable price. Anyway I would need to sell my Herald to get the cash then the police came and took it away. Its true!! ........That was after the policeman had paid for it.
Now that had the funds, I set to it. I spotted a silver one advertised not too far from home and when I went to see it, it was love at first sight. How could I buy this car for only £1500 .I had just sold the Herald for £3500 so I was getting £2000 change. Wow!!
Everthing check out with the car, service history, new head, new coolant pipes, 12 months Mot etc etc.It's never missed a beat and I love it even more.
Very happy to have joined this forum.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Introduction 11 years 9 months ago #60692

Very happy to have joined this forum.

With pics and stories like that, we're glad to have you here Ian. Mint! :)

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Introduction 11 years 9 months ago #60729

Hi, great cars and some at a crazy price just now.

Have fun.

:welcome:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT