Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hi all finally decided to register 12 years 2 months ago #40679

Hi I have been using this forum for ages to plunder all the information! So finally thought I should register and say hello.
My names Tony I am a car nut and already in 2012 I am on my second MGF, I also have a Lotus Elise a MX-5 and a Ferrari 308. As you can probably tell. Have a thing for two seat convertibles!

My current MGF is a R reg in dark blue, however this one is a bit more work than I expected, I collected it and drove home in a big cloud of smoke! It was a bit of a gamble when I purchased I thought worst case the head was gone but I can't see this one being saved, clearly the head is blown but too many other problems to be worth fixing so alas it looks like its another one that bites the dust.

Shame as its in good condition most if not all of the panels are rust and dent free with a nice set of alloys as well.
Not sure what to do with it yet never really been in this position with a car before, do I scrap the whole thing and cut my loses and try and buy a better one or do I use it as a donor car for another.
Be nice to hear some opinions on this.

Anyway I feel like I am starting off on a downer I have learned to love these cars and do not think there is a better car for the money, just got to watch out for those head gaskets I guess.

Thanks

Tony :broon:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hi all finally decided to register 12 years 2 months ago #40682

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing your pics of 'all your cars when you can please. As for your car.. I couldn't really say as it's purely your choice.

It's a good job that you have a Ferrari as your second car though eh Tony. :lol:

Re: Hi all finally decided to register 12 years 2 months ago #40685

Welcome Tony! An interesting conundrum for you... We'll all be waiting with baited breath to see what you decide to do! Nice set of cars!!! :broon:
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Re: Hi all finally decided to register 12 years 2 months ago #40688

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Change the head gasket and enjoy :broon:

Re: Hi all finally decided to register 12 years 2 months ago #40689

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Welcome to the club Tony. :woohoo: Nice to see you finally took the plunge.

Click on the glove box in the centre of your screen at the top. In section 3 you'll find the men we recommend who can fix any MGF problems you may have. You'll find their advice sound and their prices a pleasant surprise.

I'm sure you'll soon be on the road and joining us on a run :yesnod:

Hi all finally decided to register 12 years 2 months ago #40690

Thanks Leigh,

I am actually considering breaking it for parts, I have never done it before and thought it could be a good way of getting to know the car. Only issue is selling the parts don't think I could be bothered with posting it all on eBay and not sure how else you would go about getting rid of it all.

I will try and get some pictures up of the cars, I have been working very hard for a long time to get the cars that I have always wanted, the Ferrari was the final piece but strangely, and probably predictably being 30 years old it's the slowest and worst to drive!!! So gets the least use however it's very nice to look at!!!!! The lotus is by far and away my favourite I have owned it for 8 years and used it non stop it's done nearly 100000 miles now and it's still on the original head gasket! The Mazda is my current daily drive (lots of fun in the snow and Ice!), however the idea was to replace it with a nice MGF for the summer. I bought the first one at the end of last year and it was lovely but then I got offered a good price for it and ended up selling it then instantly regretting it, so along came this one, I didn't pay much for it but as I mentioned it's all gone wrong !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Tsleight

Hi all finally decided to register 12 years 2 months ago #40697

I know I'll be in this or another one on the road very soon but if I go for another one, which is probably more likely is there a big difference between the standard 1.8i and the vvc?
I have always preferred the looks of the early ones so it would have to be one of these but not sure on the engine.
Sorry if this is a can of worms!! But I like to do alot of work on my cars myself and would like to know if one is easier than the other
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: Hi all finally decided to register 12 years 2 months ago #40723

hi
shame about the one you broght

there are some bad ones out there and some good ones

the how tos are good so might be worth having a go at striping to se if it can be fixed :broon:

unfortunatly you might of missed this

http://www.the-t-bar.com/en/forum/9-mgftf-pitstop/39598-red-f-copper-leaf

we are trading it on wed 22nd :( as we would of loved it to gone to a good home

50k miles 2 owners total and looked after spent 300 on brakes last year mk2 1.8i

if you are intrested i will pm the garage its going to

we had a suprise today some fellow mgers poped round for a coffe so it made it a bit harder to say good by to our f we will miss it
so i know how you felt when you sold yours

and a big welcome to the forum :broon:
mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

Last edit: Post by MGF MARK.

Hi all finally decided to register 12 years 2 months ago #40725

Hi Mark,
Just been having a look and that was the colour I had earlier in the year, looks a really nice one. Little bit out of my price range at the moment I really need to sell my MX-5 before I can but a nice F.
Just been reading your thread on it, sorry to hear that you have had to come out of them all together but I'm sure at some point you will get a summer one for the odd outing, the new car looks nice and still a convertible so you won't regret selling too much come the summer.
As others have said stick around as you seem to be a fountain of knowledge which is what us newbies to the MGF's desperately need.
Thanks for the offer
Tony

Hi all finally decided to register 12 years 2 months ago #40727

Well I have given this some thought over night and decided that I am going to break the MGF, had a good look round it and after the head is done I reckon I have around £1000 extra to spend on it, not being one to keep cars very long it's too much to spend, so i am going to strip it down and keep the parts I think will be useful (lots of bits for the Elise as well) then sell the rest to try and get back some money.

So I guess I should probably start a new thread but as you all seem very helpful and therefore deserve first choice if anyone needs any parts from a r reg MGF dark blue (I will find out the paint code today) then let me know, I have never done this before so I'm sure we can come up with a price, if you need a part either make me an offer or I will give you a price based on the exact science of a little guess work and looking on eBay and attempting to undercut them!!

Let me know as of now all parts are available (probably best not to buy the head gasket!)

Thanks
Tony
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tsleight

Re: Hi all finally decided to register 12 years 2 months ago #40864

Bit of a long shot but have you any interior carbon fibre bits?

Hi all finally decided to register 12 years 2 months ago #40882

Sorry no the interior is very standard so no exciting bits I'm afraid

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT