Sign In   Register

Topic

Alternator adjuster bracket - How to upgrade 9 years 4 months ago #153874

David,

Thanks a lot for this 'how-to'. Having spotted the bracket that GT MG Spares Ltd fitted to the new very bright green TF, I've just taken delivery of a kit from Mr X which includes new bolts and a new spacing bush too. Everything actually except instructions. I'll have a bit more of a struggle fitting my kit I expect as the adjuster bolt has sheared in the alternator so some slow grinding on the bench ( :spank: ) seems likely.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Blow-in. Reason: removed name of supplier having now read the whole thread

Alternator adjuster bracket - How to upgrade 9 years 4 months ago #153881

Richard

One bit of advice...

I fitted mine last week and couldn't have tightened the lock nuts enough with the result that the adjusting nut worked itself loose and the belt started slipping again. I had it in mind that I'd tightened the belt too much and had knackered the alternator bearings.

Luckily, that was not the case and I've now made sure that the lock nuts are tight to the adjusting nut. I wondered afterwards if a bit of Loctite on the threads prior to doing up the locknuts might help.
Robin ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Alternator adjuster bracket - How to upgrade 9 years 4 months ago #153884

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
The old adjuster nut/bolt is redundant with the new set up so don't worry about it. :broon:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Alternator adjuster bracket - How to upgrade 7 years 10 months ago #168776

Fitted this upgrade . Makes it a lot easier to adjust the alternator belt . A worthwhile mod

Alternator adjuster bracket - How to upgrade 7 years 10 months ago #168795

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
One additional thing worth mentioning.

I had the alternator end nut come undone and the bolt made a break for freedom. I reused a nut and bolt and I guess the nylon lock was passed its best.

The kits now come with new bolts and nuts, so in theory this shouldn't happen to others but I thought it best to highlight it.:shrug:

I purchased another M10 x 80mm bolt with new nylock nut and added a little threadlock as a double safeguard.
David
:shrug:

Alternator adjuster bracket - How to upgrade 6 years 9 months ago #179153

hi, will this fit a mgtf 2003 1.8 135 thanks, graham?

Alternator adjuster bracket - How to upgrade 6 years 9 months ago #179154

I think it should provided you don't have aircon.
Robin ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, graham1

Alternator adjuster bracket - How to upgrade 6 years 8 months ago #179380

I recently bought a '04 54 plate TF with no aircon.

I found out last week that the cause of my squealing fanbelt wasnt the belt but the fact that there was NO BOLT between the adjuster bracket and the alternator itself, so it was moving around under load. It was temporarily bodged with a bolt and some nuts as spacers and I have sourced a new bolt and spacer and O ring, but am wondering if its worth fitting the new adjuster instead of just adding the bolt and spacer?

Having read through this I'm not sure if the original spacer and O-ring are still suitable for the new adjuster? It looked like they were thicker in the original post and the spacer would now be too long?

Advice welcomed - far from an expert on the TF.

Alternator adjuster bracket - How to upgrade 6 years 8 months ago #179386

IMHO, the alternative adjusters are a good upgrade, making adjustment of the alternator belt a lot simpler. You will need longer bolts for both the attachments but some of the suppliers of these adjusters include the necessary bolts in their kits. The original spacer works fine with these adjusters
Robin ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bigpikle

Alternator adjuster bracket - How to upgrade 6 years 8 months ago #179403

Many thanks.

I fitted the correct bolt and spacer anyway in the short term, which of course was the bracket to engine block end, but I think I'll get hold of one of those adjusters anyway for the next time I have that wheel off and have a few spare minutes.....or maybe hours to get the damn bolts off!!

Alternator adjuster bracket - How to upgrade 6 years 6 months ago #181281

no, don't have aircon.

Alternator adjuster bracket upgrade 6 years 2 months ago #183569

Thank you just, done this lost a bit of skin taking the old bracket off but well worth the trouble.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT