Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF to TF Chassis restoration - now with pictures added 7 years 4 days ago #177158

Recently, I posted a welcome to introduce myself to the T Bar and my plans for my 1999 MGF 1.8 VVC. The main job was to restore both subframes and a complete engine rebuild, I was asked whether I would be doing a conversion to the TF set up...? well, after doing lots of research and invaluable advice from Darren at MGFnTFBitz, I have decided to do this.

The first job was to strip all the various components from the front subframe, inspect and evaluate the parts etc (The how to do's on the T bar isa fabulous source of advice)
then its out with the grinder and wire brush! I will report on the various components on later posts...

A work bench saves the back! I do a section at a time, using various wire brushes to get into all the tight areas, apply Kurust and a coat of red primer to protect.

I have noticed an area of corrosion (above picture) I will be welding a 3mm metal plate over this section.

Areas of the subframe are in good condition and clean up well with the wire brush

Well, I will keep at it and post updates as I go... I will be eventually spraying the subframes in enamel CMU Solar red to match the MGF and all the suspension components in black...

Regards
Simon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Simon h. Reason: Pictures now attached

MGF to TF Chassis restoration 7 years 4 days ago #177159

Not sure what I have done wrong here lol... no pictures? any advice??

REgards
Simon

MGF to TF Chassis restoration 7 years 4 days ago #177161

Not sure what I have done wrong here lol... no pictures? any advice??

REgards
Simon

The addresses of the pictures is incorrect, where are the photos stored?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

MGF to TF Chassis restoration 7 years 3 days ago #177174

Hi, The photos are on my desktop and I uploaded them to my post via the attachment button and inserted.... I did try to preview my post but the option didn't want to work so I submitted my post to discover no pictures.

Any advise would be appreciated - Thank you

MGF to TF Chassis restoration 7 years 3 days ago #177185

I suspect that when you previewed the post it was displaying to you the photos on your machine.

Personally I load pictures to my photobucket accounts and use the link they provide, it means I still have some control of the photos and use them in multiple locations.

Looking forward to the resolution of the photos, I am in the middle of the same job.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

MGF to TF Chassis restoration 7 years 2 days ago #177201

Thank you for your advice... Photobucket worked a treat with help from my daughter lol

MGF to TF Chassis restoration 7 years 2 days ago #177205

Looking good so far. I am thnking of doing something similar to my TF as I have load sof Poly bishes, and I thought easier to fit them on a spare subframe and then fit the whole lot, especially as my front one has new stainless bolts anyway so will come out easily.

We all look forwrad to the progress!

MGF to TF Chassis restoration - stage 2 6 years 11 months ago #177429

Just an update to say that I decided to tackle the corrosion discovered after cleaning up the front subframe with my grinder and wire brush. Firstly, I need to clean off the the red primmer to clean metal for welding...

I purchased an a4 sheet of 3mm and 2mm mild steel plate off ebay and after making a cardboard template, cut it out of 2mm plate and with some manipulation with a hammer, got the patch to fit well.

Then... it's time to tack the patch in place using my gas less mig welder, its a great piece of kit.

I am at this stage still yet to get the right amp/wire feed correct and my welding needs to improve but with a test of the hammer... its not gonna come off :clap:

Then it's a clean up with my flap disk before a coat of red primer.

Like I say... welding needs to improve but there is one other patch I discovered whilst cleaning up the subframe and that will be my next post.

Regards
Simon
The following user(s) said Thank You: mowog73

MGF to TF Chassis restoration - stage 2 6 years 11 months ago #177432

Mig welders are great, but gas less mig........ not so.
I don't know any tradesman that would use gas less, damned thing make more mess than they fix.
Can you run gas with your mig? Most gas less mig welding machines will also run gas, though you do need to reverse the polarity to convert from gas less to gas.
Apart from the hassle of gas bottles etc the only other draw back of mig welding with gas is drafts and wing blowing the gas away while you trying to weld, I usually rig up some welding screens to help with this, welding screens are a good idea for safety too.
They protect others from welding flash and can help contain the sparks, slag etc. (lessen the fire risk)
Of course you have a fire extinguisher handy while you weld, don't you. :yesnod:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: SundanceUK

MGF to TF Chassis restoration - Update 3 6 years 11 months ago #177930

Finally got into the garage, its been a couple of weeks since I did any work but here is the latest update:

I continued to use the angle grinder and wire brush to get all the old paint and crud off...

It,s cleaned up very well, there are no signs of corrosion around the turrets

However, I found corrosion on the front n/s subframe mount, inspection of the o/s showed that a plate has been previously welded in the same position... this would have to be sorted:

I've used 3mm plate for this section...

Yep... still need to practice welding but the hammer test proved that the plate are well and truely secure :clap: Just need a tidy up before painting ;)

A quick coat of red primer to protect the bare surfaces...

Thats it for the momment, more to follow... hoping to get a sand blasting cabinet soon, it'll make cleaning up of the hubs etc easier

PS: Fire extinguisher is close to hand :yesnod:

Last edit: Post by Simon h.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT