Sign In   Register

Topic

Headlamps... CUSTOM 14 years 1 month ago #11718

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

I have a Mod in progress to update F Headlamps, I have only one one but once the other is completed i'll post up pics and a 'How Too' guide !!!

Just out of interest, is it a legal mod?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Headlamps... CUSTOM 14 years 1 month ago #11722

I think I know where you're going with this. HIDs? Right?

When I had my Nissan in for its MOT, I had a long conversation with the tester about HIDs.

He clarified the position regarding legality versus passing an MOT.

For the MOT, they only test beam pattern and beam aim. Even if these are OK, they can fail a car for headlights being too dim, but there is no upper limit for brightness. i.e. They can't fail a car because the lights are too bright.
So retro-fitted HIDs will pass an MOT test. Assuming all else is right regarding pattern and alignment.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you can't be stopped by the Police as soon as you leave the MOT test station and prosecuted for illegal headlamps, because the Department of Transport has decided that retro-fitted HIDS are illegal unless they are e-marked, self-levelling and have headlamp washers.

In other words - retro-fitted HIDs are illegal, but may very well pass the MOT test.

I hope that helps clarify the position.:dunno:
David
:shrug:

Headlamps... CUSTOM 14 years 1 month ago #11726

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

I have a Mod in progress to update F Headlamps, I have only one one but once the other is completed i'll post up pics and a 'How Too' guide !!!

great mod, looking forward to seeing your work 25X

Headlamps... CUSTOM 14 years 1 month ago #11729

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Was just wondering. Wasn't a leading question, just that altering lights is a tricky area. Had my Mod head on for a minute. :)

Re: Headlamps... CUSTOM 11 years 11 months ago #49034

I have a Mod in progress to update F Headlamps, I have only one one but once the other is completed i'll post up pics and a 'How Too' guide.

Oh dear, I seem to have neglected this. :slapme:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: sp

Re: Headlamps... CUSTOM 11 years 11 months ago #49035

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Don't worry, the F will be around for many many more years to come, take your time :bust:

Re: Headlamps... CUSTOM 11 years 11 months ago #49038

Which projection units have you got?

Link please
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Re: Headlamps... CUSTOM 11 years 11 months ago #49054

• Visitor
  • Visitor

I have a Mod in progress to update F Headlamps, I have only one one but once the other is completed i'll post up pics and a 'How Too' guide.

Oh dear, I seem to have neglated this. :slapme:

Well after 2 years I would imagine the mod is perfected :whistle:

Headlamps... CUSTOM 11 years 11 months ago #49079

I think I know where you're going with this. HIDs? Right?

When I had my Nissan in for its MOT, I had a long conversation with the tester about HIDs.

He clarified the position regarding legality versus passing an MOT.

For the MOT, they only test beam pattern and beam aim. Even if these are OK, they can fail a car for headlights being too dim, but there is no upper limit for brightness. i.e. They can't fail a car because the lights are too bright.
So retro-fitted HIDs will pass an MOT test. Assuming all else is right regarding pattern and alignment.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you can't be stopped by the Police as soon as you leave the MOT test station and prosecuted for illegal headlamps, because the Department of Transport has decided that retro-fitted HIDS are illegal unless they are e-marked, self-levelling and have headlamp washers.

In other words - retro-fitted HIDs are illegal, but may very well pass the MOT test.

I hope that helps clarify the position.:dunno:

hi david
I've just read this on hear and it concerns me greatly as I bought some hid bulbs (£90..! if I can recall) for my 03 tf about 18 months ago from a great well known mg garage so I presumed they are road legal and to be honest I'm pretty sure they told me they were.
My little silver roller skate has had mot since fitting and nothing was said, but with reading your post it seems I still be be breaking the law :(

rob

Re: Headlamps... CUSTOM 11 years 11 months ago #49081

Passed the mot didn't it? :) After 18 months of use I doubt that they'll be setting up any roadblocks for you. :)

Headlamps... CUSTOM 11 years 11 months ago #49083

haha thats ok so all the flashing blues & two's outside not for me lol

Re: Headlamps... CUSTOM 11 years 11 months ago #49087

I think that this issue is less visible on a TF because they have projector type headlamps that suit HID bulbs.:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT