Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Why I joined the T Bar 2 years 10 months ago #195762

I brought her home! 1999 75th Anniversary, silver with grenadine leather (non-UK/Euro model) with 39,000 kms (24,375 miles) on the clock. Presents as a new car... still has the original tape deck in it! Very lucky...
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mowog73, Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Why I joined the T Bar 2 years 10 months ago #195765

The first thing you must do is fit a low coolant alarm, unless of course it already has one fitted.
I use the one from Brown & Gammons easy to fit, works well, looks OEM and a bloody side cheaper than a cooked engine!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Why I joined the T Bar 2 years 10 months ago #195766

Thanks mate, yes it seems to be the consensus, although the local expert garage said it'll be fine as long as I keep my eye on temps and drive it correctly - but I think it will be worthwhile for extra peace of mind...

Why I joined the T Bar 2 years 10 months ago #195768

"Keeping an eye on the temps" one of those temp gauges  the oil temp is as 'bout as handy as tits on a bull! The damage will've been done long before you get much of a reaction from the gauge.
And when you consider the pluming distance and number joints between the engine and radiator, the coolant gauge is of limited use in a sudden loss of coolant scenario.
With a mid engine layout and all those hoses, pipes and joints there is a much greater risk of a sudden loss of coolant than with a conventionally laid out car.
The temp sensor needs to be immersed in coolant to work, and when there is no coolant around the sensor, it can't send reliable input to the the gauge, which means, yet again the damage is done without the gauge registering a high temp! 

And as "for driving it correctly" that what the worlds most boring car is for: the Toyota Camry is for (even the red ones are beige) Sportscars are for ragging!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Why I joined the T Bar 2 years 10 months ago #195770

Good to know, already talking to the local workshop about one.  WTR careful driving, the advice was keep it below 3000rpm until the oil temp starts to move... then go for it 

Why I joined the T Bar 2 years 10 months ago #195774

@ Cobber ,  .

Why I joined the T Bar 2 years 10 months ago #195777

Hi and welcome to the forum

That is one tidy looking car - enjoy.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT