Sign In   Register

Topic

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 9 years 2 months ago #156143

"Elsie" is now back off SORN and in use once more. This morning as her boot hinges had gotten really stiff I had another look and go at freeign them up with more success this time than the last time. Turned out it was the very top rear pivot that was the problem and of course the most awkward to get at. The hinges are quiet now but will require proper lubrication and not just WD40. Had run out of spray oil and spray grease :oops: .

Have also decided to finish the rebuild of the front sub frame and then swap it into "Elsie" with different spheres which will hopefully improve her ride. This will of course mean swapping the rear spheres as well and getting some new shock absorbers as after all it would seem that hers have done over 100,000 miles now.

Also have secured a nice used proper performance exhaust manifold which am thinking would do the most good on "Elsie" then we just have to then get a proper performance rear box to match .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 9 years 1 month ago #156860

New coil packs fitted but there is still a slight juddering under acceleration although not as bad as it was so the search for the problem contiues. Will take out the plugs and have a look at them later and do a compression test whilst we are at it. Might also see what can be done on the induction side about gettign shot of the K&N 57i filter.

Ahh yes I also picked up these:-

but the seals are missing to am trying to figure out a way to seal them.

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 8 years 9 months ago #160844

Well put the original lights back on until we can get some lacquer on the lenses and some silicone around the lights to seal to the body work. She is currently sorned after a mishap where we hit the curb and broke the rim of a rear wheel. This finished off the worn inner CV joint so now have a replacement drive shaft awaiting fitting. Will also replace the gear box output oil seal at the same time.

Whilst she is up on stands am planning on chenging the spheres as well as hers are a bit harsh now and hopefully the replacements will be better. Will do a bit of wire brushing underneath and repainting while I am at it. Then once back on her wheels will get the rear of both sills tidied up and made sound and rut free......................................... more expense :slapme: .
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 8 years 8 months ago #161742

Well I did not change the spheres as yet but I did pump up the suspension and she rides better once more. Replacing the O/S/R hub and driveshaft it seems has cured the judder under acceleration and power so it seems it was the inner CV joint all the time :bang: . Also replaced the gear box oil seal on the O/S at the same time. "Elsie" is getting new rubber her front wheels are at the paint shop to be blasted then refurbished. I told him to do them sparkle silver but am wondering now if I should have said Fiat Broom yellow like all the bits underneath that I have painted :-? . Hmmm might have to get a new can and spray one of the spares to see how it looks.

Her MOT is coming up so have been gettign quotes to repair the rusting and tidy up her rear wheel arches and the end of the sills, lost of paint and bubbling, but the prices have somewhat shocked me ................................................. to do both rear quarters and the rear bumper including paint has come in at around £600 :omg: which I simply don't have. Might just put her in for the test and see what's what.

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 8 years 8 months ago #161752

Worth doing the arches yourself :yesnod:
All mine were corroded, so I sanded down with a disc, applied Kurust, filled as required & sanded again.
Luckily Hammerite do a smooth finish that nearly matches my Tahiti blue, so I used that.
Just got to blow over with a rattle can, Won't be perfect but not noticeable really & saves £££'s.

Last edit: Post by Forrester.

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 8 years 8 months ago #161755

A word of warning, Roger. Spraying over hammerite can be very problematic because the chemicals in hammerite causes the spray paint to react. :-? :slapme:

Test on a hidden area first. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrester

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 7 years 7 months ago #171521

Well am getting quotes for her repair for the MOT. I can only keep one of the MGF's and have to decide which one it is to be!

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT