Sign In   Register

Topic

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 9 years 11 months ago #143377

O/S/F lower ball replaced along wih the damaged rear mount to the front sub frame. Still have some clonks and clanks on occasions so i fear that some other bushes/mounts are either worn or damaged. Will try to get them checked when she is on the ramp for the 4 wheel alignment check.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 9 years 11 months ago #143704

Well took her for an alignment check and discovered that the passenger side rear mount is also scrap and needs replacing. The rubber bush is sticking out about 4 mm so the sub frame is out of alignment as a whole. Have not had chance to get onto this as yet as am getting the old Blue VVC project out of her resting place so she can be relieved of her rear sub frame and engine/gear box unit. She will be soon down to just a shell.

Parts such as the doors are likely yo go onto Blue 33 he rest will be held as spares or sold off over time.

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 9 years 11 months ago #143705

Is this the likely culprit for the clonking? :-?
David
:shrug:

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 9 years 7 months ago #149302

David ........................ I really don't know as she still has some clanks and clonks depending on road conditions. Have now replaced both rear mounts for the front sub frame. I will be replacing all four shocks as they appear to be tired. One of the rears is misting the outside tube so well past it's best. Getting the top nuts undone is not the easiest of jobs after 17 years though as I am sure your aware. Might get Brendan to do them with his air tools as they seem to make it easier.

"Elsie" is in for a re-teat for her MOT on Monday morning. She failed on a number of things (thread in pitstop listing them) hopefully all sorted now. She has a new exhaust system including CAT and Lamada so am hoping that we won't have issues with them in the foreseeable future. The new Bosal rear box is more muted that the GTX box that was on before. The N/S hanger had come off the box but has now bee re-welded in place and the box will now go onto "Blue 33" who is still with her original box butt hat is not holes with rust in one spot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Last edit: Post by Plezier.

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 9 years 7 months ago #150081

This morning I took "Elsie" and got her Four wheel Alignment done and yes it was quite a bit out which I suspected. My spraying the arms with Plusgas must have helped because they all came undone with too much effort and without needing heat and that did surprise me.

So this afternoon I popped into Halfords and bought some Turtle Wax Dark green coloured polish to help bring here BRG (HAM) pain back a little to looking presentable. She really needs a re-spray butt hat will have to wait until next year.

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 9 years 7 months ago #150886

Well I broke down and bought a couple of blue "medium" clay bars off ebay. They spent best part of a day cleaning her, claying the paint work and the windscreen, then polishing followed by a coat of wax. At first I was not impressed but it must have made a difference as have had a few nice positive comments on her condition now.

Once she gets her nose job to replace the cracked front bumper which is also an incorrect green she will look miles better. Add a set of refurbished wheels she will look very good indeed. So hopefully by spring "Elsie" will look much better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 9 years 6 months ago #151949

Have been having a spot of bother with a feeling when driving like a out of round wheel/tyre and on searching online for the probable cause and the most likely cause it seems was the compliance bushes at the rear lower arms. Had toreplace the two lower arm to hub bushes for the MOT so it seems probable that the other bushes in the arm were also worn.

So new bushes were bought. Due to the silly high price of the standard MG?Rover rubber bushes poly bushes were bought instead as they were a lot cheaper. Due tot eh fine weather today it was time to crack on with the job after yesterdays trip over the Lincoln and Rimmers for some new bits:-

Compliance washers
two new nuts for the tie bars
Lower arm inner bushes ........ Polybushes this time.

In the post arrived yesterday monrning the Polybush replacement compliance bushes for both sides.

So today as it was fine it was time to get her up wheels off and lower arms out for the new bushes. The arm to hub bushes were replaced for the MOT the other month. Here are the new expensive bits:-

The arms were easy to remove only having been refitted a short time back:-

and only required a wipe over..

New standard metalistic bush fitted for the MOT. Now with new Polybushes fitted:-

and then fitted:-

Some time back also cleaned and painted the alternator adjusting bracket:-

Yes I happen to be fond of bright yellow.

Of course I now discover a place that makes the Polybushes and that i could have bought a set fot front and rear for about what the compliance bushes cost .............................. Doh! Guess "Blue 33" will be treated to a set before too long seeign as she is almost the same age as "Elsie" registered 10 days apart they were. Of course I will have to clean up and paint the lower arms on "Blue 33" before fitting the new bushes like I did to "Elsie's" for the arm/hub bushes the other month.

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 9 years 6 months ago #151957

Hiya pelzier, just wanted to say that i think your doing an outstanding job. I have my hands full with just 1 project can't imagine what it would be like 3. I fully to intend to one day buy mgf to restore and seeing the work you are doing gives me some hope i'll be able to hopefully do the same one day. I totally get the collecting thing and have been a couple of days away from purchasing 2 mgf's myself. I'm holding our for an amaranth one though.

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 9 years 6 months ago #151960

Thank you ................................... although frustrating at times playing with these gives me something to do apart from sitting at the computer or watching dad snooze.

I pull the one being played with as close to the house as possible so can hear him if needed. Although there is usually Mother about as well. Having more than one was NOT the plan it just happened but it's working out quite well as I can use one whilst fettling the other.

"Blue 33" being the same age, although with only one third of the mileage on her, could use new bushes no doubt and now a kind person has posted where we can get them cheaper that may happen sooner than later. I find being able to drive one encorages to improve them and make them the best that we can with in reason. Money is very limited being on carers allowance.

May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 9 years 5 months ago #152481

Due to the continued harvesting going on around here the roads are in a dreadful state and hence so are the cars. As today was fine decided to wash "Elsie" as she was more brown than green:-

Need to get right down and wash off those sills undersides that I missed. When washing her I noticed that some kind a-hole has opened their red door right into "Elsie's" passenger door leaving a nice red scuff and graze. Autoglym paint restorer has removed most but the grazing is too deep to get out totally :rant:

Re:May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 9 years 5 months ago #152510

Nice looks! Like the rims. Also like the silver bracket of the brake light. Did you paint it yourself or is it a bought piece?

Re:May I present "Elsie" who is a Mk1 MGF VVC.... 9 years 5 months ago #152522

Nice looks! Like the rims. Also like the silver bracket of the brake light. Did you paint it yourself or is it a bought piece?

It was like that when I acquired her earlier this year. The door handles are also silver hence my painting the side scoops silver as well as they were black before.

Silver handle lifts.

She also had silver roll hoops which I hope to re-fit once I have made up a new mounting bar to replace the butchered one that was in her. The console and vents were also painted silver as you can see. The interior has now been completly swapped for a MY2000 one.

Last edit: Post by Plezier. Reason: typos
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT