Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Light/wandering steering 3 weeks 3 days ago #206409

2003 TF. Subframes recently replaced due to corrosion; new MoT. New Toyo Proxes fitted; at recommended pressures. Wheel alignment checked and adjusted professionally. Sadly, at much above 40mph the steering becomes light, vague and prone to "wandering".

Any ideas what I should investigate as possible cause?

p.s. "Comfort" ride dampers fitted about a year ago, which at the time made no noticeable difference to handling, but made the ride much pleasanter (more like the MGF we previously had).

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Light/wandering steering 3 weeks 2 days ago #206410

Where does the problem fit into the timeline of the work done ? Did the steering wander issue start after the new subframe was fitted, after the new softride shocks etc ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Light/wandering steering 3 weeks 2 days ago #206411

Softride shocks fitted about a year ago and no problems at that point.

Problem arose only after new subframes fitted plus the new Toyos.

Have checked tyre pressures and all match recommendations

I'm guessing it must be a problem with the front end, rather than rear.

Ideas welcome!

Light/wandering steering 3 weeks 2 days ago #206413

The TF is very sensitive to tyres, check your pressures, and wheel alignment needs to be spot on, I’ve heard not all garages have the correct wheel alignment specifications!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: John in Devon

Light/wandering steering 3 weeks 2 days ago #206414

I strongly suspect that when you replaced the subframes you (quite correctly) had the alignment checked & adjusted by "professionals"
They almost certainly used the WRONG figures!
See the experiences of MGB281: I quote from one of his many posts below:

I took our TF to our local ATS and it came back darting all over the road. I took it back with the correct specs and they did it again, their database is incorrect for the TF, they claim that the database is supplied by the manufacturers of the alignment equipment. I personally think a lot of complaints of the TF being a bity darty is incorrect rear wheel alignment, we have "tested" ours on the roads and is incredibly surefooted

As you can see, it is actually a problem with the REAR end having the wrong figures in the ATS data base. I THINK I have the correct MG ROVER numbers in one of Roger Parkers books. PM me if you are unable to find the data.
Regards
John E (also in Devon BTW)
The following user(s) said Thank You: John in Devon

Light/wandering steering 3 weeks 2 days ago #206415

Would it be possible to post those details on here please as I may have the same problem.
Initially thought it could be down to ball joints but as those and several other suspension components have been replaced the 4 wheel tracking process has not solved the problem.

Light/wandering steering 3 weeks 2 days ago #206421

Would it be possible to post those details on here please as I may have the same problem.
Initially thought it could be down to ball joints but as those and several other suspension components have been replaced the 4 wheel tracking process has not solved the problem.

I created new thread with all relevant and needed data here:
https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/roverlike-s-guides/98906-mg-f-tf-wheel-alignment-geometry-data
so everyone can see and use it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EllisoJo, John in Devon, Toyman

Light/wandering steering 2 weeks 6 days ago #206438

As EllisoJo states I had problems with ATS, I had replaced every ball joint front and rear,autobushes all round and the Bilstein kit. The tyres are Falkens which were all made the same week. After fitting all those new parts I took it to ATS for a four wheel alignment check and when it came back it was truly awful even to the point of being dangerous on bumpy corners. I checked the print out from ATS and IIRC the rear tracking was set at four degrees toe in and the camber was set differently each side.
They reluctantly agreed to re do it FOC but would not accept any problems linked to a “wrong alignment setting” when I got it back a quick drive over the Quantock Hills showed that the handling had been transformed. The crashing noises from the suspension that I put down to the autobushes had gone and the ride was improved. This improvement was solely down to the rear alignment, the front had been done properly the first time.
I am now quite convinced that anyone complaining of handling problems should get the rear alignment checked but take the correct figures with you.
A great road to try out your handling are those on Exmoor in a triangle between Exford, Porlock and Lynmouth.

Last edit: Post by MGB281. Reason: Adding information

Light/wandering steering 2 weeks 6 days ago #206439

Thanks, MGB281. Good to hear you got it sorted. I have mine booked in with a local independent tyre depot for Thursday. and I am going armed with the correct data as supplied by Roverlike a couple of days ago. We'll see what happens!

Light/wandering steering 2 weeks 5 days ago #206446

What is quite astonishing is that ATS couldn’t put the correct data into the tracking equipment’s database. They had to use the incorrect data and adjust the geometry to an “incorrect “ setting to get it adjusted correctly. I am on the other side of the world at the moment but IIRC they were using two degrees rear toe in. They also claimed that they don’t adjust camber as part of the alignment. If you watch yours being done you see the camber alters with the toe adjustment.

Light/wandering steering 2 weeks 5 days ago #206447

2 deg rear toe in is an alarming amount, that should’ve rang alarm bells in the technicians head, providing of course they had any idea of what they’re doing in the first place!
No wonder the thing felt nervous…… I am just thinking about it!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Light/wandering steering 2 weeks 5 days ago #206448

I’m no expert here but I would guess you might notice that on a traction engine.
M

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT