Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Oil Light Flickered on then off 1 month 1 week ago #206140

Hi guys. So I bought an MG TF 135 1.8L the other day. in the two hour drive home there was no juddering, knocking etc but a oil light appeared on the dash for a very short period of time (2-3 seconds only) then went off. This happened three times.

I’ve been told it could be the pressure switch but not sure how I’d know which one I need for my car (I’m no mechanic) as well as if I can drive it to a garage to fix it. I’ve idled it and no light has come on again, the oil is clean with a good level too. I’m really not sure what to do. Is there anything else it could be other than the switch just to cover all bases. And what would costs of these be?

The light being faulty isn’t a problem as it stays on on the dashboard before I turn engine on. But it flickered whilst driving so is trying to tell me something.

Thanks in advance for help.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Padgeyy. Reason: Typo

Oil Light Flickered on then off 1 month 1 week ago #206142

I am a novice when it comes to these cars and am a bit surprised that no one else with experience has not responded.
However for what it is worth here is a suggestion based on a solution to failed reversing lights (there is an electrical connection for the reversing light above the gearbox). When that pair of wires were parted it was seen that they were a bit corroded. After a clean and re connection the reversing light worked fine.
I was surprised that those terminals were “dirty” being where they were ie well out of the way.
So, it might be worth finding the transducer for oil pressure and having a look at the terminals first.

Oil Light Flickered on then off 1 month 1 week ago #206143

Yeah first stop is check for shiity dirty electrical connections and sloppy lose terminals
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Oil Light Flickered on then off 1 month 1 week ago #206155

I agree with Cobber on this . Depending on your confidence , you could do with having access to the underside of the car , mainly at the rear O/S as you need to check the state of the oil switch and as Cobber said the wiring and plug. The plug wiring and terminals are known for causing issues. The plug and terminals are available as is the switch .

PS. Slight highjack of this thread but as Cobber has responded to it , how are you doing Cob ? Are you at home now or still in Hospital ? All the best mate . :yesnod:

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: spelling

Oil Light Flickered on then off 1 month 1 week ago #206162

It was only after scanning through some circuit diagrams that I recalled your query & I went on a hunt for the appropriate pages.
Fortunately, having found it I can confirm it doesn’t get involved with the Pektron box of black magic, it takes its simplicity more from the Lucas school of battery bulb & switch warning indication; more Milk Tray than Black Magic.
The switch is mounted adjacent to the oil filter, which is to the left of you near the exhaust down pipes, if you are scrabbling on your back, head first, with your nose just having received a second degree burn from the back box, it’s by your left shoulder. Let it all cool down before you start.
The switch is normally closed, with it opening when the pressure builds, thus extinguishing the dash lamp.
Our friend Delb’ commented saying that it could be a poor contact, sadly in this circuit configuration a poor joint would only show if there was no oil pressure & who would know!
First port of call is obviously to change the switch, my guess is that will cure the problem.
If not get a proper pressure gauge on it.
When you change it you will meet oil, be prepared & be quick with the change but don’t be so quick as to cross the threads.
M

Oil Light Flickered on then off 1 month 1 week ago #206165

Thanks, I slipped the chain and escaped the damned hospital @ 2 weeks ago, slow recovery but picking up a little every day
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, sworkscooper, Airportable, Notanumber

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT