Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Cam belt change north east 1 month 3 weeks ago #206020

Looking for a cam belt change locally, my usual garage don’t want the job and mobile services are fully booked or somewhat expensive does anyone know of a garage or mechanic in Middlesbrough area that deals with tf?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Cam belt change north east 3 weeks 6 days ago #206376

Have you had any luck yet?

It is no harder to do than in a front engine car after the engine cover is off.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Cam belt change north east 3 weeks 5 days ago #206383

Im going to change mine soon Charlier. Happy to take some photos and write it up for you and you can borrow my cam and crank locking tools if you cover the postage. Aside from those items only basic tools and a jack are really needed. Very much a DIY job for any average weekend tinkerer..
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.

Cam belt change north east 3 weeks 5 days ago #206385

It may be “relatively” simple provided you have a means to get the crank bolt out.
I “fell” at the fence listed as remove the starter motor. One nut was “easy” with three 10” socket set extensions or two 10” plus one 5” (I can’t remember which) from the off side wheel arch. The other one under the water rail just proved impossible despite what others said.
If I had to get at that nut I’d think about getting some “C” spanners to see if one of those can get at it.
Otherwise a hammer gun on the crank, but make sure you have the cam alignment right.

No doubt someone will give encouragement and tell us how you get that bl**dy nut off.

Cam belt change north east 3 weeks 3 days ago #206406

My tame mechanic does loads of cambelt changes on MGF/TF. I've sat and watched him do mine a couple of times. He makes undoing the crank bolt look trivially easy. Mind you, he does have the car up on a 2 poster. He basically pokes a big screwdriver through a hole somewhere underneath to jam the starter ring. With the other hand, he uses a 24" breaker bar to undo the crank bolt by applying his fairly considerable weight downwards from below (tree swinging style). It takes him seconds. He also has a handy 5ft high bottle jack to support the engine when he undoes the RHS engine mount. Beyond that, I haven't a clue what he's up to. I might have to learn, though, because he just retired :-|

Cam belt change north east 3 weeks 2 days ago #206416

It would be interesting to know where that “hole” is. I suspect he has to get the cover off that involves removing the bolts to the starter motor. If so then I’d love to know how he gets at them. The one I’m particularly interested in is the one tucked right under the water pipes.

Cam belt change north east 3 weeks 2 days ago #206417

It would be interesting to know where that “hole” is. I suspect he has to get the cover off that involves removing the bolts to the starter motor. If so then I’d love to know how he gets at them. The one I’m particularly interested in is the one tucked right under the water pipes.

I'll ask him next time I see him.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT