Sign In   Register

Topic

Selecting the correct wiring diagram 1 month 3 weeks ago #205975

Can anyone please point me to the correct wiring diagram for a MGTF 135. The vehicle was produced in Dec 2003.

I have previously downloaded a wiring diagram from here but suspect it is not the correct one although it does say MGTF Aug 2002 in the corner of each drawing.
I'm trying to make sense of the drop down panel image in the car under the steering column, its numbering, what is live all the time and what becomes continuously live when the ignition key is in the first position i.e. as it would be when running on the road, and possibly what becomes live when turned to start the engine.
An example of the differences is as follows.
The image on the panel tells me that fuse 3 is not used and indeed it does not have a fuse in it, the wiring diagram tells me otherwise and that lights in the boot should be supplied off that part of the circuit and that light is fully functional without any fuse in position 3.
Not all the fuse positions are numbered. The 6 in a vertical row to the right are unnumbered yet their purpose is identified eg Blower, main beam, ABS etc. (and mine does not have ABS). Anybody worked out what those numbers might be?

Can anyone help please?
I'm trying to identify a circuit that is live with ignition on to power the energizing coil in a relay , or a circuit that is not heavily used that is live with the ignition switched on. I'm seeking to supply sat nav and dash cam but not permanently live, i.e live with ignition on only.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Selecting the correct wiring diagram 1 month 3 weeks ago #205976

You have 2003 MG TF 135 with Lucas alarm box and fobs. That means your car has VIN number under 620549 and is produced prior to July 2003.

You are looking into electric diagram which is for MG TF cars with Pektron alarm box and oval fobs. Their wiring is completely different. On that electric diagram says 01 August 2003 on each page.

So you are looking on wiring diagram for another car and fuse box image on drop down panel from your car and they do not match as they cannot.

Among electric diagrams links on this site you do not have electric diagram available for your car as single pdf.

However you can find electric diagrams for your car among RAVE links where you need to choose RAVE B.

RAVE B is bunch of pdfs controlled by special program. It containes workshop manual, electric diagrams etc. Installation can be done on Microsoft XP operating system and possibly some later ones, but you will need to sacrifice your Adobe Acrobat version to 4.0 which comes with RAVE.

Selecting the correct wiring diagram 1 month 3 weeks ago #205977

Great stuff Roverlike, I was wondering along those lines.
If you’re on the Lucas fuse board you’ll see a 1/4” Lucar connector to the left of the fuse extractor clip, if your board is like mine the
that connector comes live with the auxiliaries.
If you have a test meter find a good earth & not all metalwork is at earth potential, link on to that tab & see if you have 12v & your system is like mine.
I haven’t search it out on the diagram to see what it’s current supply capacity is but I’ve pulled a reasonably amount through it. See how you go.
M

Selecting the correct wiring diagram 1 month 3 weeks ago #205978

In case of MG TF mk1 first Lucar connector left from fuse extractor has number 5 on plastic fusebox moulding imprinted and it is permanent live coming from 40 amps Link fuse number 1 in under bonnet fusebox. That is not ignition switched live OP is asking for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Selecting the correct wiring diagram 1 month 3 weeks ago #205979

I have tried the download and as I’m working on an iPad it has failed to open for some reason. I’ll try on the desktop - probably tomorrow .
Yes, my system has the 2 button lucas system, not the later system.
And yes at least one switched with ignition terminal either a Lucar terminal or piggyback from a fuse is what I’m looking for and ideally safe for an amp or two.

Selecting the correct wiring diagram 1 month 3 weeks ago #205980

I have tried the download and as I’m working on an iPad it has failed to open for some reason. I’ll try on the desktop - probably tomorrow .
Yes, my system has the 2 button lucas system, not the later system.
And yes at least one switched with ignition terminal either a Lucar terminal or piggyback from a fuse is what I’m looking for and ideally safe for an amp or two.

I have a September 2002 TF with the Lucas Fob, so hopefully same under Steering-wheel fusebox as you:

The good news is that terminal 3 (just out of picture to the left of terminals 4 & 5, which I have circled in Green in the picture below0, is ONLY live when ignition switch is in the Accessory or running positions. I have just used this terminal to give power to a USB outlet, to power my Satnav. It works a treat. I was getting fed-up of finding my sat nav still powered-up after leaving my car in the garage for a few days after a run. The current drain was enough to flatten the TF battery. The cigarette lighter socket is permanently live on my TF, and I think I read that others of "our" generation of car are the same.

I have protected my USB feed from terminal 3 with an in-line fuse, not sure if that /those numbered outlets are already protected, but it seemed wise.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Selecting the correct wiring diagram 1 month 3 weeks ago #205983

School boy error, taking an exam without reference to your notes.
No excuse I had my head under there on Friday.

Selecting the correct wiring diagram 1 month 3 weeks ago #205984

Are you saying that the "Lucar" terminal identified as terminal 3 just to the left of those you have circled in green is "switched live" when the engine is running? If so that could be an alternative solution.
My other option was to seek the switched supply to the "engine start" circuit and if there is a circuit that is "fused", in that fuse control panel, pick up on that to achieve a means to create a "latched relay".

Selecting the correct wiring diagram 1 month 3 weeks ago #205987

I'm not a computer expert by any means but tried downloading the suggested RAV. Unfortunately a lot of fuss for no success.

I downloaded the suggested RAV onto the windows 11 machine as the old XP would not connect to the internet ~ kept coming up with a time error. The downloading to the windows 11 bit went ok and as expected the latest pdf would not open the available documents referring to the MGTF. Not to be deterred I copied the download to an old XP lap top after locating a USB that would accept the file format in such a way that the XP machine could collect the zip file etc (the latest crucial portable ssd could not be read by the old lap-top). Downloaded version 4 of acrobat, and still got no success. The message was that it still needed something else that I was unlikely to be able to achieve due to the XP machine's inability to reach the internet.

So I’m no further forward with regards to a wiring diagram.

Anyone know of an alternative reliable source for the relevant wiring diagram?

Selecting the correct wiring diagram 1 month 3 weeks ago #205988

RAVE cannot be opened as by opening pdf. You need to start program called tdata.exe which then will call all the other that needs to be called.

Selecting the correct wiring diagram 1 month 3 weeks ago #205992

Thank you for continuing to help.
That sounds like something off the “dark web”.
What on earth is that and where will it take me?

Selecting the correct wiring diagram 1 month 3 weeks ago #205993

Just googling it I see that
“Most antivirus programs identify TData.exe as malware”. I can do without that.

And
Description: TData.exe is not essential for Windows and will often cause problems. I can do without that too.
So it looks like I’ll have to do without a wiring diagram.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT