Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MG TF 135 Blown up motor 3 months 1 hour ago #205736

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your damaged engine.

While you are waiting to source a replacement engine take the head off your current one to inspect the damage.
You may only have a few bent valves.
As the engine wont have being going fast I doubt the pistons will have been damaged.

I have experienced 2 cambelt failures on the K series, The second time I was pulling away in our ZR160 so the engine was at about 1500 rpm and we only bent 8 valves. The first time the mechanic changing the cambelt left the locking tool in place and bent 4 valves.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MG TF 135 Blown up motor 2 months 4 weeks ago #205741

That's very good advice from Talkingcars.

If i was in the position of having bent a few valves but an otherwise ok engine my route to a successful outcome with contolled costs would be a £ 50 used Mk2 F 120 head from 'Bitz which i'd transplant your 135 cams into + a head gasket, cambelt & tensioner.A day off, parts arrive in the morning, drive it to the pub by the evening.

You can do this.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.

MG TF 135 Blown up motor 2 months 3 weeks ago #205791

Hi!

I’m sorry about not updating the status for this long. I opened the engine before I wrote here. 2 valves of the first cylinder broke and explode into pieces shattering the piston.

I have managed to find a 16K4F in really good shape for cheap so I’m going to try to do the swap myself. Worst case scenario I break this cheap motor and learn something new, best case scenario I fix the car for 300£.

Thanks everyone for the help, I will keep you updated as I do some progress!

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Bertl.

MG TF 135 Blown up motor 2 months 3 weeks ago #205793

Thats bad luck about that piston but well done for sourcing another engine.

Good luck with the engine swap.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

MG TF 135 Blown up motor 2 months 3 weeks ago #205798

Hi!

I’m sorry about not updating the status for this long. I opened the engine before I wrote here. 2 valves of the first cylinder broke and explode into pieces shattering the piston.

I have managed to find a 16K4F in really good shape for cheap so I’m going to try to do the swap myself. Worst case scenario I break this cheap motor and learn something new, best case scenario I fix the car for 300£.

Thanks everyone for the help, I will keep you updated as I do some progress!

Your engine sounds like my life story……..pissed n broke!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT