Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

DRL and halo 4 months 2 weeks ago #205327

The excellent how to relating to Halo lights around the headlights of a TF is probably just as good now as it was when it was written. However, I’d like to know how reliable it has been over the time it has been in use by anyone.
Renewing a failed ring would be tedious to say the least, and if touring in France for example a spare would have to carried and fitted before proceeding.
Not quite as straightforward as just replacing a bulb.
So any feedback would be very welcome. Alternatively any alternative DRL option/experiences would be appreciated- fog light position perhaps?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

DRL and halo 4 months 2 weeks ago #205328

Instead of replacing the fog lights with DRLs wouldn’t just be easier to use the fog lights as DRLs
This would mean that you still have fog lights if needed
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

DRL and halo 4 months 2 weeks ago #205330

However, I’d like to know how reliable it has been over the time it has been in use by anyone.

So any feedback would be very welcome. Alternatively any alternative DRL option/experiences would be appreciated- fog light position perhaps?

I've had the halo LED mod on mine for about a year now and so far, so good. I appreciate a year isn't exactly a long term test but I did notice something else about it. The LEDs used on mine destroy my DAB radio signal such that the only way to listen to DAB is if I turn my headlights on (at which point the LEDs turn off). I have tried fitting ferrite coils but no joy on sorting this issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delbourt

DRL and halo 4 months 2 weeks ago #205333

Yes, I had thought about fog lights as DRL.
However, I believe the relevant lighting regulations, regardless of age, prohibit the use of fog lights other than in limited visibility.
For additional lighting which DRL would be I believe the constraints are different.
I have not measured the height to centre line on mine (as it’s up in the air on axle stands) but I do not believe that fog light position is acceptable for indicators. So that rules out the switchback facility/option.
As DRL the fog light position should be acceptable but the lumens output needs to be less than the theoretical capability of fog lights so as not to dazzle.

Pulling the trigger doesn’t help!
This needs to be as compliant as practically possible whilst at the same time being reliable and effective.

DRL and halo 4 months 2 weeks ago #205334

If fog lights are set up properly they won’t dazzle, the whole idea of foglights is that they have a low cutoff beam to go under the fog If they don’t do this then they will reflect the beam of the lights off the fog into your (the driver’s) eyes, thereby impairing your ability to see where you’re going.
Now when I look at the position of the indicators on my F they are in the bumper, below the headlights not all that much higher than the standard position of the factory foglights would be if fitted (my car hasn’t got factory foggies) and what do the indicators have to do with DRLs? Unless you mean those ones that flash amber when you indicate. In which case it still wouldn’t matter as you’d still be using the standard indicators….. the DRL type should only be used as repeaters as I doubt they would meet certification

DRL and halo 4 months 2 weeks ago #205336

Delbourt
I have the ones that also flash orange with the indicators, they certainly let oncoming traffic know which way you are turning. If one fails in france you just disconnect the plugs, so there is no problem. As for worrying about using foglights during clear conditions your fears are totally unfounded, the police will never stop you, just like they never stop cars with only one working headlight or stop light. If you knew how much work is involved in booking a driver then you would understand. Another factor to consider is that all MGF's and TF's predate the DRL regs so do not have to comply.

DRL and halo 4 months 2 weeks ago #205338

Alternatively any alternative DRL option/experiences would be appreciated- fog light position perhaps?

Roger Parker's book "Everyday Modifications to your MGF & TF" is a good source of information on this subject, and many other MGF/TF topics for that matter.
He dedicates about 4 pages to the topic. A photo showing " an alternative to the "in headlight" option is shown below:

Spottycats comment about his DRLs LED controller creating interference on his DAB radio signal is interesting. Has anyone else using LEDs had this experience?
Attachments:

DRL and halo 4 months 2 weeks ago #205340

Delbourt
I have the ones that also flash orange with the indicators, they certainly let oncoming traffic know which way you are turning. If one fails in france you just disconnect the plugs, so there is no problem. As for worrying about using foglights during clear conditions your fears are totally unfounded, the police will never stop you, just like they never stop cars with only one working headlight or stop light. If you knew how much work is involved in booking a driver then you would understand. Another factor to consider is that all MGF's and TF's predate the DRL regs so do not have to comply.

Mine also do the amber switchback and I agree, they make it much more obvious and clear when you are indicating.

You also made the point I was going to make that I've never seen anyone pulled over for using foglights at the wrong time - it happens a lot. I do notice that more modern cars seem to automatically turn off the headlights when the front fogs are on? At least, it seems that way, and would make sense in that you are trying not to have the beams reflected back at you from the fog.

The LED vs DAB issue has been widely talked about but mostly to do with household installations, not much with cars. I may try again with a station using DAB Plus to see if that makes a difference.

DRL and halo 4 months 2 weeks ago #205350

This is from the regulations. SCHEDULE 7
PART I
Requirements relating to obligatory direction indicators and to optional direction indicators to the extent specified in part ii
PART II
Requirements relating to optional direction indicators
1. No vehicle shall be fitted with a total of more than one front indicator
nor more than two rear indicators, on each side.

2. Any number of side indicators may be fitted to the side (excluding the front and rear) of a vehicle.

3. The only other requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are those specified in paragraphs 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12(a) and 12(b) of Part I.

My attention was drawn to the above earlier today by another well respected source. That would seem to suggest that if you fit and use orange Halos that you must disable the standard OEM equipment.

DRL and halo 4 months 2 weeks ago #205351

That’s a particularly stupid piece of legislation……mind you aren’t most?
I gather that applies to the UK.
Some new cars have sequential indicators at either the front. Rear or even both ends, where the indicators are segmented, this would be possibly argued that these are multiple indicators

Here in Oz we have the Australian Design Rules, or ADRs as they’re more commonly referred to.
From my last reading of this dreary legalese posing as technobabble, I don’t recall anything about limiting the number of indicators, plenty about position, power and certification. There is plenty about the number of other lights in that they must always be in pairs, which technically speaking most light bars would not pass muster as a single unit centrally mounted are not actually legal here, there is plenty about wattage, which means where a minimum limit for wattage is specified for a light for a given task, then LEDs with their reduced power consumption required to provide equivalent light outputs are technically illegal in these circumstances.

Which only goes to show that none of the government “authorities” have a clue as to what they’re talking about, whist they may well be legally the authority, they are not very authoritative in practical matters……this is what happens when decisions are made by pubic servants and their political masters very few of which actually have a clue as to what it’s actually about or meant to achieve, the few that may possess any knowledge of the matter at hand are usually about 30 years behind the current technology!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable, MGB281

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

DRL and halo 4 months 2 weeks ago #205353

A particularly useless bit of legislation wording I feel. It does indeed seem to make all the sequential ones on cars these days illegal too; at least all the lights on mine work from the same relay at the same time, so is it one indicator or not? If not, then the sequential ones are absolutely illegal under that legislation as they definitely don't work all at the same time.

The TF also does suffer from a common modern issue in that the indicator is contained within the same housing as the headlights/DRLs. On many cars this has the result of making them very hard to see at times due to glare from the HID or LED bulbs widely in use these days. It's a bad design but one that has become far more common as it's probably cheaper to produce one single light unit with a multiplug than route to different units as in the F.

At least with the switchback halos it makes the indicator easier to see as it's not just relying on that single little bulb. That said, I don't think the TF has ever been accused of having especially dazzling headlights.

DRL and halo 4 months 2 weeks ago #205359

As Cobber correctly states the law makers (politicians) don't have a clue, the police aren't interested in minor technical lighting infringements and MGF's and TF's predate the DRL regulations. Personally when I am driving my TF my concern isn't whether my three front flashing (two Halo DRL's each side) indicators are illegal but whether some idiot in a big SUV/American pickup etc has seen me in a car that doesn't come up to their door level. When (IF) I get stopped for having too many front indicators I will accept my slap on the wrist in the knowledge that I have wronged. Out of interest my car passed it's MOT with them so perhaps the testers just use common sense.
The same logic applies to those kits that you wire into your high level brake lights that cause them to flash instead of emitting a steady light. They are legal for use under heavy braking but illegal for normal braking. :rant: What are you supposed to do? Fit a meter to measure your deceleration and then flick a switch.
Spottycat, you are spot on about some indicators not being visible due to them being in the headlight but it can also apply at the rear, some cars have a short row of very intense brake lights with the indicators immediately below which can become invisible.
Delbourt , you fall into one of two camps, the first is to be totally compliant with every aspect of the law regarding the DRL’s or like me in the other camp take the view that my infringement is worth the risk of being prosecuted (very unlikely). The MGF and MGTF predate the DRL legislation so there is no problem, the multiple indicators are slightly different. I am happy that the MOT tester passed them and at night with dipped headlights on I don’t find them to be too bright. Neither has anyone flashed their lights at me, OTOH I often get dazzled by new cars with LED lights. If you look at the photos mine don’t appear to be too bright.

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pics inserted
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT