Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Fettling the hood 6 years 8 months ago #179836

The hood on my MGF does not align with my drivers side window. The window also needs to be looked at because it is stuck in the up position (I haven't had the weather to do it - no shelter). I have done a search on here but could not find any info about fettling the soft top. Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

TIA

Dave
Ain't it funny, how time slips away...?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fettling the hood 6 years 8 months ago #179839

Here is the fun bit,
The roof can be adjusted on the bit that meets the window screen.
The door glass can be adjusted 6 ways.
The top of the glass inwards or outwards
Glass backwards or forwards
And how level it is.
Now I was doing mine today.
The chap undone every bolt so it was finger tight.put the window up and the window self adjusted,so bolts done up without opening door by access across the cabin.
Then door opened checked and then done up correctly.
It appeared to work
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Fettling the hood 6 years 8 months ago #179841

Never heard of it done like that before. Most posts talk about hours (days?) of trial and error to get the fitting right.
Robin ;)

Fettling the hood 6 years 8 months ago #179842

I also own a Freelander and the rear window lifts and it has a removeable roof and that was done that way.
We have a garage here that repairs soft tops.
He said the parts must fit together without force.he did the roof first,he adjusted the top of the window last.
He did also say that worn rubbers won't be as good as new,he was about 30 minutes on my car,I had to remove the door cards,the bit the mirror sits on also is adjustable.
Be to be fair he does this for a living

Fettling the hood 6 years 8 months ago #179843

Also surprised it can be done this way, having spent some time doing mine a year or so ago!

Some of the adjustments are "screw positioned" meaning you need to screw them one way or another to adjust, not just free to move when loose.

Also the "cheata" needs adjusting, together with the rear glass guide, otherwise the glass may fall out of the channels and jam as it moves up and down.

I also had to shim out some adjusters to get a good fit. (I had fitted an MGF hood and frame to a TF, which meant much more critical adjustments!)

Cant say it cant be done this way, but not from my experience!

One tip is to remove all the hood rubbers and soak them in boiling water for about 10 mins. This enables them to "re-form" their profile where they have been compressed over time. re-fit and re-adjust.

Only hood adjustment is to ensure the frame is in good condition, and centrally located to the windscreen.

Fettling the hood 6 years 8 months ago #179845

Dave,
A couple of photos would really help us to target advice.:yesnod: It all depends on where the window/ hood don' t align.

Also window stuck up is usually the window stop has failed to do its job allowing the glass to jump it and get stuck too high. If you can hear the motor trying to work then that probably confirms it.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Fettling the hood 6 years 8 months ago #179846

To be honest mine wasn't far out of adjustment,and as I said this chaps day job is fitting hoods and such like,so I'm sure he has come across mgfs a few times.
I can understand the theory of allowing the glass to find its own way,
I looked while I was on my phone so not watching that closely

Fettling the hood 6 years 8 months ago #179849

(I had fitted an MGF hood and frame to a TF, which meant much more critical adjustments!)

Regardless of F or TF, everything is compatible as the tub, doors and roof are the same, regardless of model.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Fettling the hood 6 years 8 months ago #179850

The chap undone every bolt so it was finger tight.put the window up and the window self adjusted,so bolts done up without opening door by access across the cabin.

This sounds totally logical, I bet the norm is to keep opening the door that is being adjusted.

Fettling the hood 6 years 8 months ago #179858

Regardless of F or TF, everything is compatible as the tub, doors and roof are the same, regardless of model.

Yes everything fitted OK, except the F hood left gaps at the top of the door glass near the screen pillar due to its design!

The TF hood was re-designed slightly and extends down the screen pillars a little more to cover these gaps.

Was able to close them up, but still a little gap there!

Fettling the hood 6 years 8 months ago #179860

Oh, I thought the only difference is that pre '97 cars had the seam running the length of the car and later ones had them across the car.

Fettling the hood 6 years 8 months ago #179871

Yes, that is one difference, that distinguishes one from the other.

Other difference is front corner where it meets windscreen pillar (see pictures)

The frames are different, so when fitting a "new" MGTF hood to an F, I guess you should really also replace the frame for a TF frame!

Some companies do list hoods separately for MGF or MGTF, but most do not!

Either hood/frame will fit both F and TF, but TF Hood/Frame is superior to an F one.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by G0RSQ.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT